The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Recommended books

S/Ldr. Reggie will be providing us with 'Interviews with the Aces.' We will get the opportunity to 'meet' one ace every week. Please let S/Ldr. Reggie know if you have any suitable material.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Swallow wrote:
Plus: the one with Moggy Catterwaul (I shudder to recommend anything with a "Moggy" in it).
I think you may mean Moggy Cattermole in there Swallow. If so, that is "A Piece of Cake" by Derek Robinson and is very good. They also did a TV Mini Series based on it which you can get on DVD relatively cheaply too :)
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Stapme

Post by Stapme » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

This is the best aviation combat book i have ever read bar none . Its set on the Russian front. "The war diary of Helmut Lipfert" get it you wont be disapointed

Stapme

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Moggy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am

Just for Reg...

Hurricane: Victor of the Battle of Britain

F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Moggy wrote:Just for Reg...

Hurricane: Victor of the Battle of Britain

Thanks mate - you knew I would come in here when I saw a new post didnt you :wink:

I have to say though - may be a good book, but what a horrible cover- Battle of Britain all over it and a photo of a MkIIc?

Terrible!!!
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 am

The Silver Spitfire by Tom Neil. Not much fighting but I love his style of prose - he may have been 91 when he wrote it but he captures the essence of a 23 year old boy racer (from the '40s).
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am

Just read Stuka Pilot by Rudel.

Very interesting and somewhat surprisingly for me it doesn't dwell on politics at all.

The style isn't great and is very factual - you get a sense that that is what he was like, but some descriptions are relentless. It gets a bit monotonous - mission, mission, mission, mission etc but it's impressive that he managed 2,530 combat sorties without his luck completely running out.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Hunter
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am

yes truly a great read as I remember and one of the first books if not the first I read on air combat. I suspect it belonged to my father.

Luckily I cannot find my copy, and so cannot get depressed by finding out how long ago that was.
No points for second best.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:44 am

Tom wrote:Just read Stuka Pilot by Rudel.

Very interesting and somewhat surprisingly for me it doesn't dwell on politics at all.

The style isn't great and is very factual - you get a sense that that is what he was like, but some descriptions are relentless. It gets a bit monotonous - mission, mission, mission, mission etc but it's impressive that he managed 2,530 combat sorties without his luck completely running out.
Absolutely awesome book, I must dig it out and read it again. You read along just gobsmacked how the guys survived, and achieved all he did flying a Stuka for so many years - and then with disabilities too :shock:
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Cheese

Post by Cheese » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Cant wait to get into this :)
Got a funny feeling i read it a few yrs ago though,hay ho
Cheese

Catseye

Re: Recommended books

Post by Catseye » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Duel of Eagles
by Peter Townsend.

This book, as I understand it, is currently not in print but can be found online.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C205

It deals with the total aspect of events leading up to the war from Historical and personal pilots point of view. He describes in detail the events of many Luftwaffe Pilots from schooling into battle and also the same for the RAF and then brings them together when they meet each other and then recounts their perspective of each of those events.

Fabulous reading.

(Yes, he is THE Peter Townsend)

Cheers,
Cats . . .
Last edited by Catseye on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 am

I have just finished reading this - you can get it from Amazon and so on as well, but the link to the website is best to see what it is about.

http://www.valorstudios.com/a-higher-call-book.htm

This was one of the best books I have read in a very, very long time, and several times it had me completely in tears - not ashamed to admit that. An awesome book, about good men on both sides of the conflict.
:thumbup:
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Cheese

Post by Cheese » Fri May 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Just got "Stapme" and "A willingness to die" anyone read em? must admit Stapme gona get read 1st,what a character....

Cheese

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Brian Kingcome is a good read, 'though not your traditional fighter memoire.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 am

Cheese wrote:Just got "Stapme" and "A willingness to die" anyone read em? must admit Stapme gona get read 1st,what a character....

Cheese
I have a signed copy of Stapme - it is a great read :thumbup:
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Sat May 17, 2014 10:00 am

Currently I am reading

No Parachute by Arthur Gould Lee. Its all WW1 stuff based on his many letters sent home, lots of accounts of Albertri scrapping with Pups. I am about 2/3rds through and then have lined up

Te Big Show by Pierre Clostermann. Which looks good from the cover, even some Tiffy action for Cheese
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF