The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Luftwaffe organisation - WIP

S/Ldr. Reggie will be providing us with 'Interviews with the Aces.' We will get the opportunity to 'meet' one ace every week. Please let S/Ldr. Reggie know if you have any suitable material.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Luftwaffe organisation - WIP

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 am

Ahead of BoS this is a brief and somewhat garbled guide to the Luftwaffe organisation. Credits to people I've nicked text from.

The Geschwader as the biggest flying formation of the Luftwaffe consisted of three Gruppen and one Geschwaderstab (command flight).

Number of Aircraft in a Jagdgeschwader

Stab (±4 a/c)
3-4 Gruppen (each Gruppe also a Stab flight of 4 a/c)
3-4 Staffeln in each Gruppe
12-16 aircraft in each Staffel

Early

Geschwader Stab 4 a/c
I. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
II. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
III. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
Total of 112 a/c

Middle

Geschwader Stab 4 a/c
I. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
II. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
III. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
IV. Gruppe + Stab = 36 + 4 a/c
Total of 164 a/c

Late

Geschwader Stab 4 a/c
I. Gruppe + Stab = 64 + 4 a/c
II. Gruppe + Stab = 64 + 4 a/c
III. Gruppe + Stab = 64 + 4 a/c
IV. Gruppe + Stab = 64 + 4 a/c
Total of 276 a/c

Types of Geschwader:

Jagdgeschwader (JG) - Fighter Wing
Nachtjagdgescwader (NJG) - Night fighter wing
Zerstorergeschwader (ZG) - Destroyer (heavy fighetrs e.g. Me110, Me 410 etc) wing
Kampgeswader (KG) - Bomber wing
Nachtschlachtgeschwader (NSG) - Night bomber wing
Sclachtgeschwader (SG or SchlG) - Ground attack wing
Sturtzkampfgeschwader (StG) - Dive-bomber wing
Lehrgeschwader (LG) - Multi-purpose or Demonstration wing or sometimes a Training wing
Aufklarungsgeschwader (AG) - Reconnaissance wing
Nahaufklärungsgeschwader (NAG) - Close range reconnaissance wing
Fernaufklärungsgeschwader (FAG) - Long-range reconnaissance wing
Transportgeschwader (TG) - Transport wing

This is not a complete list - see here http://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe-Units.html

The Stab was formed by:

Geschwader Commodore,Adjutant, Ia Einsatzoffizier (operation officer), Ic Aufklärungsoffizier (intelligence officer), Luftnachrichtenoffizier (signals officer) and one Major beim Stab(staff major), TO Technischer Offizier (Technical Officer).

1a Chef des stabes

1a op 1 Operations Offizier

1a op 2 Adj. Op. Offizier
1b Adjutant

1c Nachr.Offz
1c AO Abwehr-Offizier

Personnel Geschwaderstab

Führungsgruppe
Kommandeur
Adjutant
1a Operations Offizier
2x Meteorologe
1c Abwehr-Offizier

Offiziere

1n Nachrichtenoffizier (Chef der Luftnachrichtenkompanie)
TO - Technischer Offizier Major beim Stabe

Personnel Gruppenstab

Adjutant
1a Offizier
Major beim Stabe
Techn.Offizier
Nachr.Offz.
Sanitätsoffizier
Verwaltungsbeamter
Techn.Beamter

Luftwaffe general organisation

Three or four Staffeln combined together formed a Gruppe. This could be automomous like a recon. unit - and it was identified by an Arabic number e.g. 14/JG54 - or part of a Geschwader or Wing in which case it was identified by a Roman number ( NAG 6 or III./JG 1). The Gruppe also had a Stab (staff) or Headquarters flight. Commanding Officer of the unit was the Gruppe Kommandeur (usually a Major or Hauptmann) with his Stab including the Gruppe Adjutant and the Gruppe Technische Offizier (technical Officer).

As with the Staffel, three, four and occasionally five Gruppen formed a Geschwader or Wing.They were always identified by an Arabic numeral. Like the Gruppe , the Geschwader contained a Stab made of the Geschwader Kommodore (wing commander usually an Oberst, Obertsleutnant or Major) and other personel as Adjutant, TO, Ia (operation officer), Ic (intelligence officer), Nachrichten Offizier (signals officer) and a Major Beim Stab (staff major). Early World War II composition of a Geschwader was:

Note that the colours denote the Gruppen/Staffel tactical markings colours save that red was often interchanged with black.

During the autumn of 1944 ( for JG 2 and JG 26 summer 1943) many Jagdgeschwader (day fighter wings) were expanded to include a fourth Gruppe of four Staffeln each.Thus the new form of a typical Geschwader was:

The LW organisation does not translate well into RAF terms. At best it can be described as follows:

Schwarm = section (usually led by the most able pilot, sometimes an NCO, but not the most senior officer)
Staffel = Squadron (again led in the air by the best able pilot terms Staffelfuhrer or Stafflkapitan)
Gruppe = Wing
Geschwader = Sector or small Group

But this doesn't really fit because Gruppen belonging to the Geschwader could be fighting thousands of miles apart.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizati ... 80%9345%29

Also see here for tactical markings and colour indications:

http://rhorta.home.xs4all.nl/jgmark.htm

So Black 6 has the tactical markings of a machine in Staffel 2 of Gruppe I.

White 14 has the markings of I(J)./LG2 (or Staffel 1 of Gruppe 1 of Lehrgeschwader 2 - the "J" standing for Jagd or fighter (literal meaning is "hunter").

Red 7 probably has marking of Staffel 2 of Gruppe II
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Luftwaffe organisation - WIP

Post by Moggy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:10 pm

So breaking it down further, was a staffel 3/4 sections of 4 aircraft each?
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron

Swallow
Austria
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Swallow » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Tom wrote: Types of Geschwader:

Jagdgeschwader (JG) - Fighter Wing
Nachtjagdgescwader (NJG) - Night fighter wing
Zerstorergeschwader (ZG) - Destroyer (heavy fighetrs e.g. Me110, Me 410 etc) wing
Kampgeswader (KG) - Bomber wing
Nachtschlachtgeschwader (NSG) - Night bomber wing
Sclachtgeschwader (SG or SchlG) - Ground attack wing
Sturtzkampfgeschwader (StG) - Dive-bomber wing
Lehrgeschwader (LG) - Multi-purpose or Demonstration wing or sometimes a Training wing
Aufklarungsgeschwader (AG) - Reconnaissance wing
Nahaufklärungsgeschwader (NAG) - Close range reconnaissance wing
Fernaufklärungsgeschwader (FAG) - Long-range reconnaissance wing
Transportgeschwader (TG) - Transport wing
Tom I don't see any "Schreiendeaffengeschwader (SAG) - Griff Stuka Wing" listed. Unpardonable oversight.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Moggy wrote:So breaking it down further, was a staffel 3/4 sections of 4 aircraft each?
Yep

2 a/c = rotte
2 rotte = schwarm

3 or 4 schwarm = staffel

Standard patrol formation was 3 schwarm in finger 4 stacked up line astern.

Most importantly it was the best/most experienced pilot that led the rotte/schwarm/staffel, not necessarily the most senior officer though gradually the best were promoted etc.

ps There are various typos in the text as I haven't bothered to tidy it up yet.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Bigbyte
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bigbyte » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Shouldn't this go in the "road map" thread Tom?
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Not yet and if we do a LW campaign it'll be in the campaign room. That's if as it won't be decided until BoS is released.

I just thought we were lacking on Intel. I'm tempted to do a VVS one too unless someone else volunteers.

Armstrong & Miller Show

Bigbyte
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bigbyte » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:23 pm

I was only joking.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 pm