The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Moggy's Level Bombing Guide Part 2

S/Ldr. Reggie will be providing us with 'Interviews with the Aces.' We will get the opportunity to 'meet' one ace every week. Please let S/Ldr. Reggie know if you have any suitable material.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Moggy's Level Bombing Guide Part 2

Post by Moggy » Fri May 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Ok we've prepared ourselves as much as possible but now's the time for the meat and potatoes of level bombing...the bombing itself.

The bomb run

The start of the bomb run is the very last waypoint before the target. If there's only a short distance between the waypoint and the target, you should consider altering course to allow yourself more time for preparation of dropping your bombs. As mentioned in part 1, you need to be perfectly level (level stabilizer on) and flying at a steady pace (neither accelerating nor decelerating) these factors are crucial for level bombing.

The manual bomb release method

This is my preferred method of bomb release. I find it to be a more precise (if more involved) way of getting the bombs on target. You need to jump into the bomb aimers position (press c and then shift + F1). Find your target by pressing your "increase sight distance" (8 ) key, notice how the angle changes as the sight moves up. Hopefully you'll be right on course, if not use rudder trim controls to alter your course onto target ensuring your target is on the long vertical line on the bomb sight. Remember to switch on the bombsight table 2 utility and alter the height (shift + page up\down) and IAS (Ctrl + page up\down) according to what you see in the speedbar. Use your "increase sight altitude" (7) key to match bombsight table 2's height (in the case of the figure 1 example below 3,000M). Now use your "increase sight velocity" (9) key to match bombsight table 2's speed (in the case of the figure 1 example below 300 KMH).
Now we have to find the angle we need to be at to drop the bombs. According to the bombsight table 2, it's 39 degrees however this will drop the bombs too soon. Using the bomb sheet (figure 2), we're at 3,000M so we need to deduct 2 degrees from the 39 degrees suggested by bombsight table 2...37 degrees. When the centre of the crosshairs passes over the target, you drop your bombs (figure 3) until you've dropped them all unless you need to bomb another target. The results of our attack can be seen in figure 4, the 1st pair of bombs was a very near miss (would of destroyed the target) but the 2nd pair of bombs was a direct hit in the proverbial pickle barrel.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

Figure 4

The automatic bomb release method

This method of bomb release is considered a lot harder by some pilots as it involves the use of an IAS\TAS table. In actual fact it's a lot easier than using manual and you will not need an IAS\TAS table.....ever! Apart from the obvious method of release the main difference between the 2 method is the fact you'll be using imperial units of distance and speed for the automatic release method as opposed to the metric units used for manual release (bomb sight table 2 was designed by a Czech squad).
Make sure your speedbar is now set to MPH and that you have your bombsight table 2 switched on. Goto the bomb aimer's position, use the "increase sight altitude" (7) key until you match your speedbar's altitude. Now the "tricky" part, match as close as possible the bombsight table 2's IAS with the speed displayed on your speedbar. The TAS is now displayed in red in the bombsight table. Use the "increase sight velocity" (9) key to match the TAS displayed in the bombsight table. We're now ready to locate the target. Use the "increase sight distance" (8 ) key and rudder trim control to locate your target and centre it in the crosshair. Lock onto the target by pressing your "toggle sight mode (auto)" (5) key. If the bombsight drifts downwards away from the target use the "decrease sight velocity" (3) key to re-centre the target. If the bombsight drifts upwards away from the target use the "increase sight velocity" (9) key to re-centre the target. Keep using the 2 velocity keys to keep the target centred until the bombs are released.

Final thoughts

There you have it, 2 different ways of level bombing...my preferred way and the way the game wants you to bomb. Now you may find your bombs drop short or long but you should be hitting in the vicinity of the target. There could be several reasons for this, your aircraft may not of been perfectly level affecting your drop angle. You may also of been accelerating or decelerating causing an incorrect input of the bombsight. There's also another factor not yet mentioned, the speedbar works in height above sea level so if your target is above sea level by some way that will also affect accuracy. As far as I'm aware you just have to live with it.
Another problem I haven't touched upon is flak. If this hits you on the bomb run, it can knock your bombsight out switching it off for 30 seconds. If this happens to you whilst you're close to the target consider going around (if you can) and making another bomb run.
I hope you've enjoyed my guide and it's of some use to you. This guide has taken me a while to compile so please if you've never level bombed before consider giving it a go...you never know you might like it. Also, take a look at the bombing links Bunny has posted in the forum...these will help you become a better bomber.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron

Tigertooo
Belgium
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Tigertooo » Fri May 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Pilot to Bombardier: thanks Harris, will try out tomorrow.Always used automatic, never manual
btw, figure 2 is for the A 20, are ther similar things for B 25 etc...?
Mirror,mirror on the wall,
Who is the best TP of them all?
"Thou are not Tiger, there's no doubt."
Euhh, well...roger that mirror,over and out.

"The Belgian Windbag"

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Moggy » Fri May 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Figure 2 has all the bombsights and aircraft ingame. The B-25J is just to the right of the A-20C.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron

Dutch
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Dutch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks Moggy, lovely stuff. I've got the hang of the manual method, I'll have a play with auto & see which one I get on best with.