The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Moggy's Level Bombing Guide Part 3

S/Ldr. Reggie will be providing us with 'Interviews with the Aces.' We will get the opportunity to 'meet' one ace every week. Please let S/Ldr. Reggie know if you have any suitable material.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Moggy's Level Bombing Guide Part 3

Post by Moggy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am

This next installment of the level bombing guide is for the speedbar\bombing assist mod. If you haven't got it yet, you can find details on how to get\install it here:

http://tangmerepilots.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8705

You also need to set up your bombsight controls, I've detailed this in my 1st guide which you can view here:

http://tangmerepilots.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5213

This mod simulates the Bombsight Table 2 mod which I've talked about previously in my other guides. It does all the calculations of the Bombsight Table 2 mod automatically based on your altitude, speed etc. and displays the information in yellow on the left hand side of the bombardier's position in game.
As experienced bombers know, the Bombsight Table 2 isn't 100% accurate and bombs dropped tend to miss (drops too early). To counter this you need to refer to the Quick Reference Bombing Chart (below). You then look up your altitude and type of aircraft bombsight used. Next you deduct the angle in the chart away from the angle displayed in the yellow bombsight text.
So If we're bombing in a B-25 aircraft or similar (B-17, B-24 etc.) at 10,000 ft (3,000 m) and the yellow bombsight text is displaying 38° we deduct 2° from that, set the bombsight to 36° and start dropping the bombs when the crosshairs are over the target. If I've got more than 1 salvo of bombs, what I also do is after I've dropped the 1st bomb I then deduct another degree. So in the above scenario, I drop the 1st bomb at 36° and the remaining bombs at 35°, this gives a good healthy spread of bombs over the target.

Here's the Quick Reference Bombing Chart:

Or you can download it here as part of the Level Bombing Manual v2 (highly recommended):

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php? ... ls&id=3431

And that is about it for part 3, I hope you find this guide helpful. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post the here.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron