The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Reggie's new Joystick Woes.

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.
Reggie
Zulu Warrior

Reggie's new Joystick Woes.

Post by Reggie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Chaps,

Those of you who flew with me on Sunday will remember I have started having issues with my X55 HOTAS in that it randomly activates buttons without me actually having pressed anything at all. This caused a fair bit of mirth as my cockpit in the 110 was randomly opening itself and being ripped off, my undercarriage kept lowering itself and at one point I just bailed out while flying along after takeoff without having pressed anything. Everything that was randomly activating was related to buttons mapped on the throttle.

This seems to be a common occurrence with the X55, and as I have had mine for over 3 years it is long outside warranty. I have not had these issues with mine before, but have also never had this many buttons mapped on the it before. Some research I have done seems to point to this possibly being caused by a lack of power from the pc as the HOTAS draws a lot of power. My old pc had an 800w power supply, the new one a 600w power supply, so this may be part of the problem.

Have any of you had this issue and resolved it? Just wondering before I start going through any tests for fixing. First thing I think I will try is buy a powered external USB Hub and plug the HOTAS into that, hopefully as it has its own separate power supply, that will ease the power draw on the actual pc power supply and resolve the issue, if it is power related.

The Chief Cock!!

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Re: Reggie's new Joystick Woes.

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 am

From what I know you might be the only one who has the X55. It might be worth a post on the IL2 forums under the hardware section.

Fingers crossed a powered usb hub fixes it, though I for one will be a little disappointed no longer seeing the puff of smoke and the canopy flying off.

Mind you, Silk got rid of his canopy too but that was his fault.

:)
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Silk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 am

:)) Pah!! We don't need no canopies...... :))

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Just a thought but map gear to your space bar and open/close cockpit to another big button on the keyboard. Then revert bail out to the standard CTRL+E (this is what I have so I never hit it by accident, though it is a panic getting the headset off then hitting the right keys!).
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Jacko
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Jacko » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Not owned the X55. Can you plug in the old PSU to see if that fixes it.
Mind you I am trying to streamline the button mappig. E.g. for all the various aircraft types rad / oil / water contols i have reduced to 4 buttons. Not one set for each aircraft variant
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Reggie
Zulu Warrior

Post by Reggie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am

Yeah, I think what I am going to do is try the powered USB first as trolling the various IL2 and Elite Dangerous forums where there seem to be a lot of X55 users - this has fixed it for a reasonable percentage of them. If that doesn't work I will get the programming software (although I am struggling to find it as the support for the X55 is now discontinued) and try mapping things like bail out, gear and cockpit to a different mode on the switch using toggle switches - as it seems to be the buttons ghosting and not the toggle switches.

If that doesn't work, I may have a dilemma :(

The Chief Cock!!

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 am

Reggie wrote:
If that doesn't work, I may have a dilemma :(
My technical solution, as once it is deployed the problem no longer exists.

Armstrong & Miller Show