The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

New kit

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.
Tom
His Gorgeousness

New kit

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am

I couldn't resist as my fps in VR has been dropping and I don't want to reduce the eye candy. I'll wait until the next generation of graphics cards are out before upgrading that.

Corsair RM Series RM850X '80+ Gold' 850W Modular Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Glass Midi Tower Case - Black
OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
Intel Core i7-8700K 4.9Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Pre-Binned
Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM 2
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black

This is my first pre-built pc purchase since something from Evesham Micros in 1998. Then I need to put in my graphics card, sound card and PCI-E to USB card for the Rift. Then I have the hellish task of installing/updating W10 and all the other crap that goes with it. Thankfully I have backed up all of my drives to an external SSD so everything is there. Mind you, I always prefer fresh installs.

I'm lucky in that I can legitimately put this through the company as a work PC as I do more work at home than gaming, and with saving on the VAT and the savings in personal tax it'll work out at around £1,200.

Next I'll have to figure out how to sell my current stuff on. I'll probably sell it as an almost complete system sans graphics card and HDD.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: New kit

Post by Silk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 am

Looking good at that spec

By the way - I tried running with just the Oculus Home and Steam VR last night (no OTT as I use Steam VR for SS anyway) - looked fine.

Prangster
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Prangster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

I don't run Oculus home anymore with BoS. Instead I run Steam VR and use the Oculus Development Tool to disable ASW. Steam VR now allows you to set the sound to automatically switch to the Rift just like the the Oculus tray tool.

My Steam VR SS is set to 3.2 with my game is on Balanced settings because I've found I prefer a smooth image rather than the extra eye candy of Ultra. I get a fairly solid 90 fps in the air as long as I turn the mirrors off. That's with an i5 7600 at 4.8 GHz and an overclocked MSI 1080.
Oberfeldwebel Prangster
Iron Cross 1st Class
2.JG 3
-------------------------------
Starshina Prangster
Order of the Red Banner, Medal for Merit in Combat
126 IAP, 268 IAD

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

I have Steam VR at 1.1 and OTT at 1.1 - I don't know if one takes precedence over the other. I also don't know if the OTT is in "old money" as I think 1.1 used to be 1.7 in Steam VR or something like that. I also didn't really see much difference between 1.1 and 1.3. Is it noticeable if you have 3.2 instead of 1.1? I have 4xAA too.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Prangster
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Prangster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm

My SteamVR settings.

Oberfeldwebel Prangster
Iron Cross 1st Class
2.JG 3
-------------------------------
Starshina Prangster
Order of the Red Banner, Medal for Merit in Combat
126 IAP, 268 IAD

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 am

I had a play last night but regardless of what changes I made, including these:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31 ... /?p=508437

my fps stayed the same with no discernable change in quality.

I'll leave it alone for now until I get the new kit.

Armstrong & Miller Show

Jacko
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Jacko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I am still curious about spotting. I thought the VR would impair the chance of spotting but it does not seem to give the VR boys any issues.
Are there any tips for the low end PC (comparable mine is 5 years old)
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Silk
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Silk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm

The main factors for VR really are the Graphics card, Processor speed and RAM speed. You pretty much need all three working together to get good FPS and eye candy.

I used to run VR with a GTX 970 card and it ran okay but not brilliantly. The card will be the major factor for most people IMO. Processor and RAM speed are really quite minor in comparison. Oh - you'll need to check availability of USB 3 ports as well.

As regards spotting, that's not much of a problem. ID-ing on the other hand can be a little tricky for some of us still.

Tom
His Gorgeousness

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Jacko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm
I am still curious about spotting. I thought the VR would impair the chance of spotting but it does not seem to give the VR boys any issues.
Are there any tips for the low end PC (comparable mine is 5 years old)
if you're in the area come and have a go!

Spotting is ok and in some ways easier than TIR. Identification is an issue but it always has been. Hooowwweeever, in VR the scale is much more real, so with TIR you might ID an enemy at say 3km, and in VR you might ID them slightly closer but because of how VR looks you think they are a lot closer than they are. So, you ID them only slightly later but you think it is a lot later.

Armstrong & Miller Show