The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Oculus VR Settings Pointers.

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Oculus VR Settings Pointers.

Post by Reggie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi Chaps,

I am getting there with setting everything up again, and was able to fly for a short time tonight - however I am still seeing a few strange things in VR that I am hoping you will be able to assist - or give me pointers on.

These are:
  • A fair bit of shimmering in the distance, and around other aircraft.
  • A fair bit of jaggies - looking out my cockpit is fine, but around the gun sight for example, and especially other aircraft are appearing quite jagged.
  • Every now and then for a split second I get the steam VR blue loading page - it appears and disappears again almost instantly, but it happens fairly regularly when flying.
FPS and so on is all fine - primarily the above issues are what I am having. I have set things up a lot as advertised across varied BOX forums.

The settings I have are as follows:

In Game, and Oculus Tray Tool Settings.
Please note - resolution is 800 x 600 when playing, I just disabled VMR and set it to native resolution to get a good screenshot of the actual graphics settings.

Steam VR Performance Tab Settings.

Steam VR Developer Tab Settings.

Steam Home Beta is disabled as per Silk's advice.

Any tips appreciated :)
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oculus VR Settings Pointers.

Post by Silk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Just below your supersampling in the last screenshot, make sure that Enable Advanced Supersample Filtering is turned off. I play at 1034x768 resolution so that the mouse doesn't get trapped within the centre of the window. Apart from that I use the same SteamVR settings you show (except that I have supersampling higher to make the best of the 1080TI) and SS in the OTT set to 0 so that it uses SteamVR supersampling. Apart from that it looks rather similar.

Regarding the Steam loading page, the server we were on last night was rather laggy and quite often I saw odd things like my sensor lay-out. I'll put a server up tomorrow afternoon and evening if you wish so that you can test on that.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks Silk, do you think the Steam SS is better than the OTT one? Or does it not really make a difference. To be honest, the main reason I have the OTT is so I dont have to manually disable ASW in game each time i join a server to get rid of the strange views through the propellor that ASW causes.
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm

I think it is rather subjective. I have the OTT enabled to get rid of ASW like you do, but have SS set to 0 on it. I use SS on the Steam tool. I've seen setup guides that recommend each way of doing it, so I think try for yourself and see what gives you the better results. Remember that the SteamVR uses a different scale of supersampling so 1.6 on one does not equal 1.6 on the other.