The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Throttle to pick with my new Virpil stick

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Throttle to pick with my new Virpil stick

Post by Gosho » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 am

Gents,

I just got the VPC flight grip + base coupled with a desk mount and a 10cm extension - it looks like a very good product but I am still not used to it and need some time to adjust the springs to my liking (having installed it last night). I flew a few sorties online and it feels great but I am still confused at times trying to find the trigger in a messy situation :Biggrin

Unfortuantely, my old trusty Thrustmaster TWCS throttle is not a good match for the stick anymore as the desk mount for the VPC stick requires you to be seated slightly behind the desk and a table-top throttle is hardly within reach. The good news is I got another VPC desk mount for a throttle, bad news is it won't work with the TWCS :Confused . So, now I will have to pick a new throttle - the options appear to be the Warthog dual throttle or to wait for the VPC throttle which hasn't come out yet ... Both of these will fit my spare desk mount (I also have a plate for the Warthog, if I decide to go that route). I do not think I can fit anything else there as I am not the best handyman you can find.

So, would you suggest I get the Warthog throttle now? I know it is not a recent product but to the best of my knowledge it is a very high quality piece of hardware. At the same time, knowing the quality of the VPC stick, I assume their throttle will not disappoint.

As you can imagine, the new stick cost quite a bit and getting a new throttle will probably break the bank, so I'd better stick with the set-up for the next few years :)

Bunny
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Throttle to pick with my new Virpil stick

Post by Bunny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm

I can recommend the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle.

Very good quality, heavy and sturdy, many buttons to use and most desk mounts that I have seem have an adaptor plate to fit.
I am looking at VPC desk mounts for my Warthog throttle and joystick, are they any good ?. The Monstertech mounts look better and seem more durable but are WAY more expensive.
F/Lt Bunny
145 Squadron B Flight Leader, Blue Section
Executive Officer 145 Squadron.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 pm

My suggestion would be to somehow fix the TWCS throttle to the Warthog plate and use that. Maybe use some strong Velcro so it doesn't shift around too much, then you can unstick the Velcro and clean the plate if you decide to use it for something else.

Then, once the VPC throttle is out you can decide what to do. It might save you a lot in the long run and it saves you having to use different software for programming etc.

Apart from that, I use and like the Warthog throttle and will not change it until it breaks, if it ever does.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Bunny wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm
I can recommend the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle.

Very good quality, heavy and sturdy, many buttons to use and most desk mounts that I have seem have an adaptor plate to fit.
I am looking at VPC desk mounts for my Warthog throttle and joystick, are they any good ?. The Monstertech mounts look better and seem more durable but are WAY more expensive.
Bunny, the VPC mounts are of very good quality - they are solid, all-metal, are easy to assemble, attach and detach. VPC has special plates for the Warthog but I haven't tried them as I don't have such a stick and throttle.

Regarding durability - I haven't tried it for too long, of course, but by the look of it - the mount will probably last for quite some time.

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 pm
My suggestion would be to somehow fix the TWCS throttle to the Warthog plate and use that. Maybe use some strong Velcro so it doesn't shift around too much, then you can unstick the Velcro and clean the plate if you decide to use it for something else.

Then, once the VPC throttle is out you can decide what to do. It might save you a lot in the long run and it saves you having to use different software for programming etc.

Apart from that, I use and like the Warthog throttle and will not change it until it breaks, if it ever does.
Sounds like a good idea - I will try that. I contacted VPC and they told me they still want to stick with the "end of Q1" for the release of the throttle but I wonder how that is going to be possible :Woah

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Gosho wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea - I will try that. I contacted VPC and they told me they still want to stick with the "end of Q1" for the release of the throttle but I wonder how that is going to be possible :Woah
Some companies work on a financial year that starts on 01 April remember. That would make Q1 the period from April to June. Not saying that's necessarily so in this case, but it is a possible scenario.

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Silk, I doubt they have that in Belarus :) In any case - I will wait a couple more months to see, if they release it.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 pm

This bad boy looks like it is going to be potentially very interesting. Expensive though and net yet quite released

https://virpil.com/en/blog/89-introduci ... 0-throttle

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Silk wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 pm
This bad boy looks like it is going to be potentially very interesting. Expensive though and net yet quite released

Yep, that is the one I am waiting for. Accordingly to their latest news - it will be available for pre-order April 20th with deliveries starting in May.

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Silk wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Oh boy, that looks like some wicked stuff!
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: currently operating an E-7 during the Unternehmen Taifun campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: recovering from wounds taken during SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 am

Andy did you add the heavy breathing words to the pic
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 am

Jacko wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 am
Nope, it's a classic meme - I took it as it was.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: currently operating an E-7 during the Unternehmen Taifun campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: recovering from wounds taken during SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:14 am

TP_Andy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 am
Jacko wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 am
Nope, it's a classic meme - I took it as it was.
Lol ok I am not up to speed with memes.
I would make one with puuuuuuuuuring. Not heavy breathing as it has the feel of Hatter and his heavy breathing
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 pm

The throttle arrived ... Guess who's having a busy evening tonight!

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:27 pm

excellent