The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

VR freezing up in multi-player

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

VR freezing up in multi-player

Post by Sparky » Sun May 27, 2018 6:34 pm

My rig is:

Asus Predator 17 X Gaming Laptop - GX-792-77BL
Windows 10 Home
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK processor Quad-core 2.90 GHz
17.3" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) 16:9 IPS
Nvidia® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8 GB Dedicated Memory
32 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
1 TB HDD, 512 GB SSD

I use the new Vive Pro VR headset. I briefly went back to the Oculus Rift but it froze too and this problem used to happen with the Rift before I bought the Vive Pro. All the USB controllers are set to not turn off to conserve power and all my USB ports and the USB splitter (not used for the VR rig) are USB 3.0 with the blue tab.

When I'm by myself it seems OK but when I'm flying near other aircraft my VR headset occasionally just goes black screen and my computer screen display freezes. I can turn on autopilot and sometimes it flies along and then the visual is back on if I wait long enough. I've tried rebooting the headset and on occasion it works, rarely. Often I must restart IL2. It's happened on TP practice servers and Wings of Liberty but not if I'd droning on in an empty sky, just when other a/c are around. Clouds don't seem to cause it nor does ground detail. I can low-level all day.

Sometimes it even happens when other a/c aren't around. On one of our recent missions I damaged my engine fighting the Spitfires so I was deadsticking it west looking for a suitable landing site when the headset went black. Luckily I had it trimmed up so when I got visuals back I was still gliding west but too low to set up for a good field and I had to bail out. But no other aircraft seemed nearby although I was in our TP mission server. Usually, even on our practice server, it lets me get near other a/c before I lose visual.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Sparky on Sun May 27, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: VR freezing up in multi-player

Post by TP_Andy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Not a VR guy but one thing crrosses my mind: do you have the Il-2 installed on the HDD or the SSD (I assume you have your OS here too)? I know that it doesn't have exactly much in common with multiplayer issues, but I encountered similar bug with monitor screen in DCS. After I moved the DCS from my HDD to SSD, all worked like a charm.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: currently operating an E-7 during the Unternehmen Taifun campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: recovering from wounds taken during SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Sun May 27, 2018 6:52 pm

TP_Andy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm
"...do you have the Il-2 installed on the HDD or the SSD"...? I know that it doesn't have exactly much in common with multiplayer issues....
I don't know. IL2 is on the C drive. What drive is the SSD? Do you guys think this could affect multi-player? The game in general?
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Have you tried lowering the settings? what graphic settings do use in game? Do you use super sampling?

lower the settings and see if that works
"I also like to live dangerously"-Austin Powers,blackjack scene

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 pm

I don't know what super sampling is.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Mon May 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Sparky, I'd try a couple of things

1) Read this, if you haven't already

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28 ... nd-tricks/

2) While you're in the air, hit Backspace to see the frames-per-second that your rig can muster using your current graphics settings. If the number is near/below 45, then your computer is struggling and you should probably lower your graphics settings a bit.

3) Start your Task Manager before starting IL2 and click on the "Performance" tab. Start Il2 and, while playing, check the "Performance" tab occasionally (remove your headset and look at your monitor). If you see irregular spikes up to 100% in the performance graphs, try lowering your graphics settings.

4) Install something which can monitor your CPU / GPU / Motherboard temperatures (personally, I use Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy) and again, start it before you run IL2. Monitor the temperatures of your CPU / GPU / Motherboard. I suspect your CPU could be the problem as you only get problems when you have other a/c nearby which is usually more related to your CPU than other components. I don't think that is the problem but who knows.

5) Check your USB ports - try changing the ports that you use for your VR headset, if possible. You can also try and diagnose USB problems, try this guide

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dead-usb- ... nd-fix-it/

These are the things I'd check first. They might or might not work but I hope they will, at least, get you started.

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks, Gosho. That gives me a lot to work with.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 pm

After reading this the only thing I can say for definite is that it’s a problem with your PC as you get the same event with both headsets so it can’t be a headset or cable problem. Gosho’s advice sounds good for deducing where the problem is.

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon May 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Blackjack wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 pm
"...definite ...problem with your PC as you get the same event with both headsets....
Excellent point. I'll follow Gosho's advice.

The 1180 chips are due out in July-ish and I'm afraid I may end up replacing my computer.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm

It is probably also worth contacting the support people for your PC to see whether they have a fix for it.

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 am

After my VR headset blacked out on downwind of my STOL approach on our A-20 Vicious Carrot Mission yesterday I've reached my limit. Today I called a computer shop and asked them to assemble me a new desktop computer with the new 1180 video card coming out in a couple of weeks, 32 or more GB RAM, fast processor, two 500Gb SSD, a bluray drive for some movies. All upgradable. 1,000w. power brick.

Any suggestions as to other features that would help with VR and IL2?
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 am

The closer to 4GHz you can get the processor the better

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Plenty of USB 3.0 ports for the VR and flight peripherals

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 am

I'm stuck between giving my wonky computer to my wife who needed a new one for work and getting my 1180 card series computer built. I missed Tuesday, Friday and Sunday flying because of that. :Angry
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Seems the new card will be called the 2080 vice 1180 and the 2080 should drop around August 30th, the 2070 and month after, and the 2060 a month after that. They probably have an advanced 2080 they'll hold back until springtime, sort of like a 2080 ti or Titan
F/Sgt, Press Officer