The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Oculus Visibility / Graphics settings

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Oculus Visibility / Graphics settings

Post by Fritz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Greetings everyone -

Now that I've got two OTU missions under my belt, I've got a question for those of you using an Oculus to fly BoX in VR - specifically related to graphics settings to help boost visibility.

Prior to joining Tangmere I was primarily flying a bunch of different Careers. I initially was using Icons to help visibility in the game but grew disatisfied with the rather over-the-top method the default sim uses. So to help make it a bit more realistic, I started using an icon mod to change that (specifically, the IL2 Icon Mod over at the IL2 Forums). This was mostly due to flying offline / single player and a laziness to really wean myself off icons because of the work involved in messing with the graphics settings to deal with the low resolution of the Oculus in full real mode.

However, now that I'm flying with you guys, I have no choice (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong). With the two flights I've flown in OTU with Merlin, I've noticed it's really difficult to spot ground objects (like, really difficult), and I can't really spot aircraft unless they are within about 5 to 6 kilometers away with the VR zoom feature (less if I'm not zooming, and this is also dependent upon the bogeys - if they are head on it's hard, if they are banking I can see them further out). I've referenced Reggie's VR Settings Post and changed my settings to reflect mostly what he's done there, and it seems to have helped a bit, but I'm wondering if there are other settings I should check out.

I'm more concerned with getting good visibility in the sim than I am framerates - I have a pretty robust system built for VR from the getgo.

I'd also really like to know what other Oculus users are seeing where aircraft and vehicle visibility is concerned - that would give me a bit of a reference point to shoot for.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oculus Visibility / Graphics settings

Post by Silk » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm

If I remember correctly I used this post on the 1c forums not long ago to set my system up and then adjusted as necessary afterwards to suit my hardware.

Spotting ground targets in the Oculus is the easiest, but once you get used to it you can get better at it. The real trick is knowing what to look for and remembering that render distance is affected by your height as well as the actual distance away as it is in effect the hypotenuse of the triangle.

For air targets then it can help to reduce your on-screen resolution some. Typically my on-screen resolution would be set to either 1024x768 or 800x600 in windowed mode or something like that. This reduced the display on the screen, but that's irrelevant as you're not using that to see stuff anyway.

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I use this Mod to have an increased zoom of x5 and x10 in VR. This helps with identifying targets.
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39 ... -features/
"I also like to live dangerously"-Austin Powers,blackjack scene

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Silk wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm
For air targets then it can help to reduce your on-screen resolution some. Typically my on-screen resolution would be set to either 1024x768 or 800x600 in windowed mode or something like that. This reduced the display on the screen, but that's irrelevant as you're not using that to see stuff anyway.
I'm not exactly sure I'm understanding your suggestion Silk - are you suggesting that the monitor display setting affects the VR HMD clarity? Or are you suggesting that I need to lower my VR HMD resolution itself? I'm currently running the sim with Full Screen unchecked at 1920x1080 (my native monitor setting).
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 pm

In-game set it to lower resolution. Don't touch your VR settings.

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm

But Fritz, don't be tough on yourself its really hard to spot ground and air targets as a general rule.
The render distance is 10K for air targets.
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks Jacko. I'm wondering too if what I'm seeing is pretty much what every other VR pilot sees - most threads about this focus more on upping frame rates rather than visibility, so it's kind of hard to get a benchmark of sorts to work from.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I've added the mods both Silk and Blackjack suggested, and changed my graphics options in IL2 as well (lowering resolution, changing AA, etc.). It seems that I can see things easier now - it's still not easy, but it's a lot better than it was. I just need to find a way to map a joystick button to the custom zoom options in the 3Dmigoto mod now.

Those settings have also really improved my frame rate, even though that wasn't really the primary issue - but I can't complain at all. The only odd thing is that I'm now seeing a shimmer in the cockpit with Bf109 planes that have an ammunition counter. When I move my head the counters shimmer, as well as some of the instruments - but when all my ammo's gone, the shimmer disappears too. Not sure if that's fixable or not.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am

Am I the only one using OTT?
I am wondering if I need to start again using this guide as my graphics seem to be pretty rubbish at the moment - loads of shimmering everywhere :(
Also had a major issue with ground targets only being visible from a distance in last week's op - and when I went in for my attack run they all disappeared so I couldnt see what I was aiming for - then they would pop back in again on my egress when I was a km or so out from them and climbing :Sad
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am

Blackjack wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 pm
I use this Mod to have an increased zoom of x5 and x10 in VR. This helps with identifying targets.
Blackjack, are you using the Joy2Key thing to map the zoom to a hotas button? I have the default IL2 Zoom mapped already, but am not too keen on installing something to use the 3dmigoto mod zoom unless I have to :Help
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:42 am

I use OTT still Reg - open that first, have default ASW set to off, then open Steam VR and open the game from in there.

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 am

Reggie wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am
Blackjack wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 pm
Blackjack, are you using the Joy2Key thing to map the zoom to a hotas button? I have the default IL2 Zoom mapped already, but am not too keen on installing something to use the 3dmigoto mod zoom unless I have to :Help
Yes Reggie I use the joy2key thing so that I have three zooms(x2,x5,x10) on one hat switch on my stick. The key piece of advice I’ll give for joy2key is to start it as admin, otherwise it doesn’t register in game. Joy2key is also free.
The latest version of migoto is very useful.
"I also like to live dangerously"-Austin Powers,blackjack scene

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:50 pm

I used joy2key as the only way to zoom in VR since you must hit multiple keys and I don't think you can do that with the IL2 keymap page. I use it in admin mode but for the last several months, every time I started up Joy2key it called each component a different number. So the TM joystick which was joystick #1 is now (when I push a joystick button) the comparable button under joystick #2! Long story short, it means the control assignments are all scrambled anew every time I restart the computer. I can sort them out and next time I restart it's the same all over again with different numbers assigned.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am
Am I the only one using OTT?
I do use OTT - ASW set to off and typically running at 1.5. I don't use any of the other settings / configurations with it though.
Reggie wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am
I have the default IL2 Zoom mapped already, but am not too keen on installing something to use the 3dmigoto mod zoom unless I have to :Help
That's my issue too... I was hoping I wouldn't have to use another program. I used Joy2Key when I first started with the PilotEdge network (to get a key mapped to COMM1 properly), but removed it after I switched from FSX to XPlane. I guess I'll have to download it again.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz