The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Bf109 E-7 Horizontal Stabilizer trim

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Bf109 E-7 Horizontal Stabilizer trim

Post by Fritz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm

In preparing for the Taifun campaign once I complete OTU, I refreshed my knowledge by watching the video linked in Gosho's II.Schlachtgruppe Flieger Noten post, specifically this video.

Almost all of what's indicated in that video I generally follow, and have mapped the necessary buttons / axis to control the water / oil radiators (I've just been leaving it on auto for my careers). However, one control in particular I can't seem to find.

The video indicates a "horizontal stabilizer trim." I've always known that was there (due to knowledge of the real aircraft), but never found a setting that controls it, so I ignored it. The video suggests that this is actually possible to control in the sim - so, to be blunt, where is it? I can't find it anywhere in the list of in-game control options. I have pitch / elevator / rudder trim already mapped, but those don't do anything (being that the 109s don't have trim setups like allied planes) - I even tried mapping the FW190 adjustable stabilizer trim to see if that worked, but nope.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Bf109 E-7 Horizontal Stabilizer trim

Post by Fritz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 pm

And of course, immediately after post this, I finally found it.

Adjustable Stabilizer Axis

Unfortunately, I don't have an axis I can map to it (why can't they have some of these with a control for up / down??). I'll have to try to find a way to rig up something.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Okay - so after fighting this for more than an hour, I'm at something of a loss.

The IL2 Forums (in a post regarding elevator trim) has several people suggesting that the 109 Adjustable Stabilizer Axis setting can be controlled by buttons if you map them as secondary controls. However, I have not had any success in mapping any key (or key combination) at all - it seems to only work when I assign an axis to it (not even the default keys Rshft+cursor up / down work).

Has anyone else gotten this to work by chance with button assignments?
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm

When you map the axis, first press the button which moves the trim wheel forward and then a button which you want to use to move the wheel backward (or vice versa, I don't remember ...). In any case - that is explained on the screen when you map it.

Cowboy
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Cowboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Good question. On all other planes I've been using the default Ctl + Cursor Up / Down and Home button for resetting trimmers, but with the 109 this doesn't work for me. There's an action specifically for the 190, but no other that I can find for the 109. Upon engine start the status scroll shows trim set at -75.

Fritz
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fritz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Gosho - I was doing that and it wasn't working... which was really frustrating me because I've gotten it to work on other controls.

But I got it sorted out.

The issue I was running into is that I was trying to make changes to my controls both in IL2 itself and in Joy2Key at the same time during a lengthy setup session. Apparently if you start making too many changes, and then changing things in Joy2Key as well, while the sim is still running, it doesn't like that too much. After I quit and re-ran the sim, it all worked fine.

So I'm all set now.
Cowboy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm
Good question. On all other planes I've been using the default Ctl + Cursor Up / Down and Home button for resetting trimmers, but with the 109 this doesn't work for me. There's an action specifically for the 190, but no other that I can find for the 109. Upon engine start the status scroll shows trim set at -75.
@Cowboy - that setting is called "Adjustable Stabilizer Axis." I use a program called Joy2Key to map additional controls to my joystick. I worked it out by mapping RAlt+Cursor Up/Down for the Adjustable St. Axis as a secondary key command, then adding those commands to Joy2Key to the joystick button I already have mapped for regular trim commands in the sim. That way no matter what plane I'm flying the same buttons now apply to elevator trim.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

Cowboy
United States of America
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Cowboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Fritz, all good now.