The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

This weekend

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

This weekend

Post by Silk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:00 pm

There is a good chance that I will not fly on Sunday unless I can stop this voice recognition thing kicking off when I'm wearing my Rift. I have no idea whether it is Oculus or Steam VR that is launching it, It doesn't seem to respond to the Oculus Voice commands to do anything (which is how you are supposed to turn of Oculus Voice bizarrely). It is annoying as hell and launches over the top of my game, usually with one of the Oculus monitoring meters alongside it.

I'm seriously considering rebuilding the whole PC just to get rid of it because I can't seem to track it down.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: This weekend

Post by Tom » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:32 pm

What exactly doe sit do - put up an overlay in-screen?

https://www.vrheads.com/how-use-oculus-voice-your-rift
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:04 pm

It brings up one or more of the VR Monitoring graphs from Oculus, the Steam VR page for Il-2, and then starts to talk as if wanting to be configured. As these are elements from at least two different VR apps, I'm lost with what to do. I've seen that link as well and that's what I was trying when I said that it doesn't respond to the oculus Voice commands.

I've found yet another setting in OTT that was set to on, so I've turned that off and will do some testing. This is just so flippin' frustrating.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Weird - nothing to do with a mobile app?

https://developer.oculus.com/documentat ... tricstool/
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes, those are the performance monitor type screens that I've been getting pop up occasionally in the past and the monitoring reports that I mention in post #1 - I believe that they're caused by if I press on the middle mouse button when trying to scroll, so I try to be very careful. Nothing to do with the VR Voice thing though and not the cause of the issue I believe.

Fritz
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fritz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:25 pm

I can completely understand the frustration Silk. I was playing DCS a few days ago and didn't realize that I had mapped a button to Discord for voice chat - every time I hit that button (which was the TDS disengage button, which you tend to hit frequently) the Discord overlay window would pop up and cover the screen, and it would make it impossible for me to click on anything in the cockpit with the mouse until I took my HMD off and got rid of Discord. In my case I knew what the issue was and fixed it soon after though.

I've never used the Oculus Voice thing at all. Does it only happen when you try to run IL2 BoX? Or does it happen with any game (Steam or otherwise)? Have you tried running BoX without the OTT at all (and I'm assuming based upon what you've said above that you've disabled both voice options in the OTT)?
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Il-2 is the only program I currently run in VR, so yes, it only happens when I'm playing that. Il-2 is also the only Steam game I'm running right now, so it all makes troubleshooting that much more difficult.

I don't run without the OTT as that turns off ASW for me and keeps it off. It is also set so that I start it first and it starts Oculus Home for me. I then manually start Steam VR and that lets me get into IL-2 from there. And yes, I'm aware that isn't standard and that other people start the game differently, but it is the only way I've been able to get it to work after one or other update several months back.

The only other game I play to any degree is World of Warcraft and that uses neither Steam nor VR and is not affected in any way.

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Everytime I restart due to game problem or mods on/off the darned thing starts up "Steamtours" which eats up 12%-18% or my GPU for no good reason. So I start task manager every time I restart the game and turn off staemtours. Maybe you could do that with your problem? I hesitate to suggest that as you're a computer Jedi and I'm a Luddite.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Everytime I restart due to game problem or mods on/off the darned thing starts up "Steamtours" which eats up 12%-18% or my GPU for no good reason. So I start task manager every time I restart the game and turn off staemtours. Maybe you could do that with your problem? I hesitate to suggest that as you're a computer Jedi and I'm a Luddite.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Fritz
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fritz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Understood Silk.

Again, I don't know what you've tried to do thus far other than what you've mentioned above, but if you haven't tried it already, I'd suggest running BoX without OTT and see what happens. I realize you don't play / run IL2 this way, but it might be the only way to isolate where the problem exists.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper