The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Computer IL2 inoperative

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Computer IL2 inoperative

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Everything worked fine until I downloaded and installed X-plane 11 and one add-on aircraft from a commercial company [Just Flight, Piper Archer III] in anticipation of some real-life flying. I have way more space empty on my SSD and there was 10's of GB left of empty space [I only downloaded the US and Western Europe maps.]

I tried X-Plane 11 but the VR screen started freezing and going black for a period then returning to normal function. The periods of black-out increased so after a few minutes flight it was useless. I tried fixes, defragged my disks, ran every sort of antivirus scan and checked for updates to computer and hardware. Something from X-Plane of the add-on a/c has killed my computer because when I opened IL2 it's the same thing. I couldn't fly with the guys yesterday without the VR headset black-outs and simultaneous screen freeze.

I removed X-Plane and the add-on a/c but no improvement to IL2. I removed SteamVR and reloaded the VivePro software and SteamVR. No improvement. It blacks out, and/or the sound for Teamspeak locks up so I cannot hear anyone. I keep recycling the headset and eventually the whole computer crashes with a blue screen saying "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" and lists the cause of failure as "ndlddmkm.sys" Then it says it'll restart the computer but it doesn't and just sits forever with that blue error screen.

I am at wit's end. I bought this computer last fall and it's very capable, 2080ti GPU and a fast chip and new-style motherboard. Everything worked reasonably well until I loaded X-Plane 11.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: Computer IL2 inoperative

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Update all drivers and software. Run DX setup. Might be some kind of bought virus checker causing problems.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm
Run DX setup. Might be some kind of bought virus checker causing problems.
I tried to download the latest DX but it said I already had the most recent version installed and I can't find how to uninstall DX to reinstall and overcome corrupt files.

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

Bigbyte
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bigbyte » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:58 pm

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION sounds nasty. Do what Tom said. If you also google that error you'll find some other steps to follow such as this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-syste ... indows-10/. The disk and file system checks listed in that link might have merit.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman

Gosho
Bulgaria
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Sparky, it could be your SSD - although it is quite new, sometimes that tech plays tricks. Backup all of your important files and try this to check the SSD health status

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-SSD-Health

If everything else you try doesn't work, your last resort is to re-install the OS.

Do you have warranty? Maybe it will be wise to check with the support team.

Chris-NO
Norway
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Chris-NO » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Sparky wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm
Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm
Run DX setup. Might be some kind of bought virus checker causing problems.
I tried to download the latest DX but it said I already had the most recent version installed and I can't find how to uninstall DX to reinstall and overcome corrupt files.

You can't uninstall or downgrade DX, btw.

I did a quick Google for that error message(I don't know the exact bug code tho') and it seems it's in most cases related to graphics drivers or bad sectors on your disk, so I've come up with some possible solutions you could try. I know you're not the most tech savy, but this should be pretty straight forward.

Click on the start menu button on your taskbar and type "dxdiag" and hit enter. Let it scan and then check the bottom box of every tab to see if it's reporting any issues.

Next step could be to press the startmenu again, type "cmd" and enter this command "chkdsk /f /r" to do a Check Disk and repair any bad sectors

One thing I would definetly do is to download and run this program (don't worry, it's safe, I use it all the time to cleanup leftovers from graphics drivers)
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

And press the "Cleanup and restart (Highly Recommended)" button, and then reinstall with newest graphicsdrivers from the nVidia website.

PS: close all your antivirus program, they often to more harm than good.

Good luck, buddy :) Hope you'll figure it out.

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:43 am

Thanks all. I updated all drivers and reconfigured my VivePro headset and it still was fowled up. I deleted about everything [IL2, SteamVR] and reinstalled it and it seems to work. We'll see how it holds up on KOTA. It's been odd trying to reconfigure my controls from scratch. Some controls refuse to bind as they were before. WTF?

Chris, I'm going to use your cleanup "guru" program.

Again, thanks all.