The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Wot VR

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Wot VR

Post by Hunter »

Christmas is coming and the Geese are getting fat etc....Just maybe the pelts I have harvested this year might allow me to go for a VR headset. But which one?

i5K processor
1060 3Gb Video card
"Let them eat cake." Johnson.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Wot VR

Post by Tom »

Depends on your pc spec.

The Oculus Rift S sounds like a good option.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

Indeed. My only advice would be that with a 1060 card you may struggle a little on some of the more recent VR devices. It would certainly be enough for something like a Rift, but some of the more heavy duty recent ones will require something from the 20xx series. At that point it becomes a decision whether to just update the video card and maybe get the VR later or to go for a less cutting edge VR headset. Of course as things progress there will also be a chase between headsets and card technology, so at some point reaching a compromise will be necessary.
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

I have always thought that the cpu was the limiting factor in il2 graphics. I have an over locked i5k which seems to work well enough at less than maxed out settings. The Occulus specs say an i5 is fine and I read that the rift itself does not depend on a powerful cpu. So I don’t have to change the cpu Right!

However the recommended spec for Occulus is gtx970 or gtx1060. I have a gtx1060 3gb version which may or may not be as good for il2. I read that 3gb is fine for 1080 screens but poor for 1440. Anyone out there interested in a 2nd hand gtx?

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Hunter wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:27 am Anyone out there interested in a 2nd hand gtx?
@charlie
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Been trying to see if my gtx 3gb can hack it.

The Rift website says confusingly to me

[font=Impact]]"applications must meet a consistent 90 frames per second (FPS) on a recommended spec machine and maintain 45 frames per second on a minimum spec machine to qualify for the Oculus Store[/font]

Whatever that means

By lowering the graphics and having the dynamic screen resolution set to .5 I can consistently get over 90 fps. Will this be enough?

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Try it and see. Also bear in mind that if you wear glasses when playing that it can be too awkward to wear a headset.

My inclination is to go down the Rift S route as your first experience (the screen is good and it is not so expensive but you’ll need headphones too) and if you can’t get on with it send it back under the distance selling regulations.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Bigbyte
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bigbyte »

Let me add to this thread for anyone else thinking about getting VR.

I'm seriously considering it after having visited Tom (who is like a crack dealer when it comes to flogging VR! B-stad!). You knew when you invited me that it would come to this Tom!!!

I’ve compared most of the headsets and tried a few. Valve @Tom's, also HTC Vive and Oculus Quest (not running IL2 though). I’ve come to the conclusion Valve Index is the way to go as it’s best in most departments and I can then follow others setup for Il2.

I had intended to buy an Index and try it on my laptop whilst considering further upgrades. Only problem is, whilst the laptop has enough under the hood being a high-end Asus ROG, it only has HDMI, no display port so isn’t compatible. Therefore I’ll need a new PC. I won’t even try it on the old PC, that’s being handed down to my nephew (to play IL2 hopefully).

I’m thinking along the lines of having the new PC dedicated to IL2 / flightsims and nothing else. That way when I switch it on I can expect that everything is just as I left it. No more fiddling around with coms and Track IR last minute before ops. I’ll need a makeover of my man cave, mostly to reorg and de-clutter after 6 years of use. There’s a bit of a shopping list: controllers, rudder pedals etc. I should probably start a new thread for the other items and keep this VR related.

Any advice appreciated.

I’m not committed to it yet. Still weighing it up. It's a lot of outlay but I can put most of it through my company as office equipment so that helps. It's also a massive faf but I think it is worth it. I was very impressed by the flight sim experience Tom has. It's really good and I think i'd get a lot out of having one myself.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman
Merlin
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Merlin »

I agree with the crack dealer, the Rift S is very good, I have the Index, and it is very responsive. Pimax have begun trialing the 8KX which right now is being reported by people as better than the Xtal, Pimax still have to get their game together though and its $1200. I have looked extensively at the pro's and cons of AMD v Intel, which due to recent releases AMD currently Pwn Intel in almost all use cases except our flight sim so for that BB I would get:
Intel 9700K or 9700KF - £330 ish (9900K, F or 9900KS is no benefit for flight sims, more expensive and higher temps)
Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler - £77 - check the reviews you will find it can keep up with a liquid cooler without the potential mess
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO - great VRM's better than any current Asus offering - £157 ish or
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 AORUS ULTRA same VRM's but better mosfet heatsink and 3 x NvMe slots - £235 ish
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD £189 - blazing fast, 5 year warranty
Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB ( 2 x 16Gb sticks of DDR4 memory) - £160 ish
Corsair RMi Series RM850i ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold 850 W PSU - £130 ish. You could run this with less but allow for capacitance aging and have the extra power)
Nvidia GTX 2080 or better graphics card - so many choices, GTX 2080 Super is a reasonable price performance trade off although if you can write this off VR will use all the graphics card you can give it so if you're prepared to pay the Nvidia dominance tax - 2080Ti like wot the crack dealer has: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11G-P4-2487-KR
Humongous case - let it breath
"It's a Squadron scramble sir"-"don't be wet, I'm still rebooting."
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

Merlin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:49 pm AMD currently Pwn Intel in almost all use cases except our flight sim
I would say AMD is slightly worse in gaming in general, but it is slightly cheaper and you get a decent cooler in the box, so it is definitely an alternative if you want to save some money.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Bigbyte wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 am ...a shopping list: controllers, rudder pedals....
Having a good HOTUS and good table mounts make flying so natural.

You might not think the different types matter for rudder pedals but I used CH plastic ones for a while and then bought MFG Crosswinds. They make such a difference. Now I'm in France and using my CH pedals and they feel like a toy, really detracting from feeling like your really in an aircraft. I'll probably will buy another Crosswind set for here.

Good luck with your plans!
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."