The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

New VR Rig

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Bigbyte
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

New VR Rig

Post by Bigbyte »

I’m posting my potential rig for VR. I’m looking for critique and to ensure I don’t overlook anything or make a mistake. Also to help anyone else who might decide to do it in the future. This isn’t to start a willy waving competition. I know these things are expensive and not everyone will have the option to do it.

PC

This will be an Overclocker’s Germanium with:

CPU: 9700K (I’m going to see if they will do a pre-binned one at 5.2Ghz)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 11G-P4-2487-KR

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gam ... d3-og.html

VR Headset

Valve Index – because I’ve tried it with Il2 ands others have it so can share tips.

Controls

I’m a bit torn here. I love the look of the Virpil stuff and would probably stretch to it but they don’t have stock of anything! I could use my old stick whilst I set it up and wait to see if the Virpil comes in stock. If not, I will go with the warthog.

Pedals will be MFG crosswind

Environment

Most of the decisions still to be taken are here and I’m still not sure what I’ll go with. Space is a bit limited and I’m keen to keep the man cave configurable for other uses. Seems to be three possible ways to set it up:-

1, Play Seat Airforce

Advantage of this is the pedestals for the controls are already there and adjustable. I don’t think an extension to the stick is required. It folds away but takes up quite a bit of space. Can’t really use it for anything else that PC sims and I’m not sure about turning 180 to look behind. I like the idea though. I’d like one.

https://www.playseatstore.com/playseat-air-force.html

2, alternative wheel stand with no seat

I’d need to put a mount in the middle for the stick. This stand would fold almost completely away when not in use so leaves the space available for other uses. Can use a normal chair with a low back so looking 180 behind should be ok. Will need extension for the stick.

https://pagnian.co.uk/collections/fligh ... ight-stand

3, Normal desk with desk mounts.

Will need extension for the stick. Safest (and cheapest) option probably.

Summary

This is going to take awhile to setup. I have 3 weeks off over xmas so I’m planning to do it then as I'm flat out before. My mancave also needs a makeover at the same time. I’m thinking of ordering the PC base station and the Valve Index in the next few days. They can sit and wait for the rest to happen/get delivered.

Thanks to Merlin and Tom for their help so far.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Re: New VR Rig

Post by Tom »

Get a piece of wood to screw the pedals to. If use flat head bolts you don’t need to countersink them. I’ll send a pic to you.

Go with the desk and mounts setup but make sure you use something between the stand/clamp and the desk to protect the wood or whatever material you have.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

I use Virpil's stick + extension and throttle. They're a great kit and you know the good stuff but be prepared for some software glitches as their drivers' team appears to be lagging behind.

For example, it may turn out exactly half of your throttle quadrant buttons / axis stop working until you re-flash the firmware. Can be quite annoying - lead to me de-syncing my engines in the Pe2 and rushing to put my flaps and gear up using the keyboard on the last mission.
Bigbyte
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bigbyte »

Thanks Gosho. This is exactly the sort of feedback I am looking for. I have enough stress during the week. I want my leisure to be plug-and-play (no @Hatter , leave it!). I can see the Virpil just causing me stress! I think I'll go with the Warthog and save some money. I also think the bigger buttons on the warthog will be better when going by touch only. The Virpil stuff just looks so nice though.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman
Fritz
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Fritz »

I fly DCS with a guy from Canada that uses a Thrustmaster Warthog and recently purchased these desk mounts for his setup:

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/j ... ble-mount/

He flies with a Rift S, and said that of all the desk mounts he's used, those are the best he's found - he's very happy with them. They mount very solidly with very little wobble using a simple lever rather than a screw or knob, and the plates themselves are adjustable depending upon what you require for height.

I've been looking at the possibility of a chair / mount setup or a desk mount setup myself for a long time, and based upon his comments if I go with the desk mount these are the one's I'll go with.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper
Hatter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Hatter »

What kind of floppy drive are you looking at?
"Oh God!"
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

Some time ago I purchased an original series VKB Gladiator Pro. I really love that stick, despite the fact that one of the buttons has been a little problematic. In my view, it is ideal for VT use because as well as the buttons on the stick, it has a number of buttons on the base itself and many of these buttons have up to four uses depending on the modifiers you use. There is a pinky button at the base of the grip that acts as a first modifier and then a 'mode' button as well that gives pretty much everything a second set of assignment.

I just purchased a MonsterTech joystick mount and the plate for this stick, which haven't arrived yet. The only downside I can see for now is that as of yet I haven't located an extension set for this stick, but I have only just started looking.

Much has already been said about headset, so I won't put my tuppence worth in here. The rest of the rig appears to be pretty future-proof too.
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Like Fritz and others I took someone here's suggestion for Monstertech mounts and they work very well except I got one with an extended (horizontally) joystick platform and it takes a specialized tool to tighten it every so often. I have the tools in the states but not here.

I have the joystick and throttle on the table and sit in a rotating office chair to look aft.
Last edited by Sparky on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Bunny »

I flew with Tom's Index VR set at the weekend, I already own the Oculus Rift. So I now have the ability to compare the two.

I liked the ear phones on the Index, they were much better than the Oculus ones and seemed to have better sound. The hand controllers on the Index were awesome and MUCH better than the Oculus controllers. As for the VR effects in the game, I have to admit to being a bit torn....

There is no doubt that the Index IS better, less screen door effect, its much sharper AND the field of view IS much better, it is a definite CUMULATIVE effect of being better all round, but (and this is where I am torn), can I justify buying a 2080 TI graphics card and the Index and the controllers ? No, I can't, its just not a big enough difference, for me anyway.

If I was new to VR and hadn't already got the Oculus, I would have gone with the Index, no question.

I will wait for the next generation of VR and see what that brings, might be a long wait though.

Having said all of that, I will be buying the Crosswind rudders. :-)

Bunster
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Bunny wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:56 pm I will wait for the next generation of VR ....

Having said all of that, I will be buying the Crosswind rudders. :-)

Bunster
The next gen MAY (or may not) be the Pimax 8KX but I'll let you know if and when they ship. It's supposed to begin in December to early backers but they're notorious on looooong delays.

I thought Crosswind rudder pedals might be a noticeable improvement over my old TM plastic ones. They were a huge improvement. Now in France I'm tempted to get another set for here as I'm back on plastic TM pedals.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Bigbyte
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bigbyte »

This in progress. Looks like all the bits will be here by next Friday. If I learn anything impactful from the build I will try to share on here for future reference.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman