The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

VR

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

VR

Post by Hunter »

Trying to get oculus to work. Last night Silk advised that the monitor and the rift display cable had to be attached directly to the video card.

Took the back off the pc which revealed the port and connected. Same as before , the usb cable shows as connected and I have sound but not the display and there is no picture.

Is there some software tweak which has to be enabled for it to work?
"Let them eat cake." Johnson.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: VR

Post by Tom »

You probably need Oculus Home.

For IL2 to work you also need Steam VR.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Thanks,

Just reinstalling the oculus software. Going out now but will try the steam and oculus home on return

Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

I already had steam, just had to enable the steam vr…...not that that did any good.

Why would I need Oculus home? This appears to be a piece of software for looking round houses. It's free, but as we know in the world of the internet, if it's free, you are the product.

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Because that's what it works with. It is the same for all VR headsets - you need the proprietary software that goes with it. Annoying but it is what it is.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Ok,

I'll give it a go and I hope it works, though I am baffled as to why it isn't included in the installation download which I installed

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

It probably was. You should have a desktop icon which is black with a white O on it.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

I do have such an icon. Getting desperate now.

reading Prangsters post. Do I need to plug in all three usb's? I don't think I will use the controllers

Also I now think the problem is in the connection of the HDMI cable. Just a thought if the monitor and the rift have to be connected direct to the GPU, do they have to be connected in the same way? Currently the monitor is a DVI connection.

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Follow the instructions. Make sure you use the USB 3.0 sockets (assuming you have them) and away you go.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Thought I was.

It says plug in usb and yes the little image goes active.
Then plug in display adaptor"..............noth8ng.

I’ll see if I can get the monitor to work on the hdmi ports

Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Just run the Steam VR evaluator. It says YES!
Average quality 7.2 (High)
Frames below 90 fps - zero
Recommended for high quality VR

I may have to wait until No 1 Son comes home for crimbo to sort me out (well my pc that is)

Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter »

Well even without No 1 son I managed to (largely) sort things on Tuesday afternoon. It seems it was a Firmware problem (whatever that is). Had to go down the pub Tuesday evening and was out all day Wednesday and to day I am of to Scotland for a few days. So the fine tuning will have to wait.

This also means I will miss the Sunday punch up. Should be back with a bunch of queries Tuesday. Will get it sorted soon and the it can be wrapped as my crimbo prezzie!