The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Nummy's Rig Needs Facelift

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Nummy's Rig Needs Facelift

Post by Nummy »

Nummy and his rig need a facelift.
Works fine in BoBP except in furballs, etc.
Here's what I have for specs.

Processor AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.30 GHz
8 Gigs RAM
64 bit
GeForce GTX 650ti

Looks to me like everything needs to be replaced, but funds aren't there.
I'm thinking of a 1071ti, they're relatively cheap now and just toss it in and see what happens.
Anyway, if you spot the bottleneck let me know.
Cheers
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Re: Nummy's Rig Needs Facelift

Post by Eddie »

What is the motherboard, power supply and do you have good cooling? Those are needed to really advise too, it could make some potential issues otherwise.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Gee, I'll have to dig in andand see.
More when I know more.
Thanks
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Moggy »

I think your 650 gtx is a bottle neck there. A 1070 ti should be a big improvement over that.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Yep, I think so too Moggs.
But a bigger problem--the internet connection here doesn't stay connected more than five minutes.
Will speak with the house owners.
It's ATT and I've seen three of them in the US that really don't work.
The US is fortieth internationally, in internet service, behind Turkey, so I read.
There's no real oversight so they do about anything they want.
But yes, the 1070 ti's are decently priced now.
Thanks Moggs

Chris-NO
Corporal
Corporal
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Chris-NO »

Sadly,

My oppinion, is that your whole rig is a bottleneck.

The CPU is ancient. It's not only about clockspeed. There's a lot of other factors. Look at the clockspeeds of todays CPUs. They are not much higher than those dating 5+ years back.
My CPU is a i5-4670K overclocked to 4.4ghz, a new i9-9900K is not that much faster(5ghz@turbo, and turbo is only intermittent) clockspeed vise, but it will absolutely out perform my CPU because of a lot of other factors.
8gb ram is fine, BUT it's only DDR3 and slow(AMD is picky about ram speed, Intel not so much, but still)
The graphics card is also pretty outdated.

If you want to upgrade, you're gonna have to basically build a new computer.
Your motherboard wont fit a newer CPU because of the socket.
A new CPU wont accept your current RAM because DDR3 isn't supported anymore on newer CPUs.

The only thing you're actually able to upgrade, is your GPU, but then your CPU will become a huge bottleneck. Your GPU will have to wait a lot for the CPU to process information and send it to the GPU. That can give you stutters and other performance issues.

You could still use your case, storage, PSU(hopefully) etc..

But I would actually go for an almost new and clean build. Old PSUs can become a timebomb, and suddenly break down. Especially if they are old, and of lower quality.

IL-2 has actually become relatively heavy with the latest updates. My computers performance ingame has taken a hit of -30-40% FPS and I've been experiencing stutters.
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Chris, probably right.
Time for a New One.
Thanks

Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Nummy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:46 pm ...the internet connection here doesn't stay connected more than five minutes.
...The US is fortieth internationally, in internet service, behind Turkey, so I read.
There's no real oversight so they do about anything they want.
I've had excellent internet in the US. ATT in my neighborhood is 360MB but I use Spectrum with 600 or so MB. My wife has a house where we used to live and she works near there. That house has fiber optic 1TB internet and it's in a rural area. Missouri is not the IT posh area so most places have equal or better unless you live on a mountaintop [which I did before marriage and moving to Misery.]
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

The connection is better.
My cousin did a reset on it, and now it stays online.
My rig is still slow and clunky, but provides some fun.
But it's time for a new rig.