The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Screenshots for recce photos

Prangster is the Resident Expert on Battle of Stalingrad mission designing and building. He will impart his great wisdom within the hallowed halls of this room.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Screenshots for recce photos

Post by Silk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:21 pm

New thread to consolidate the conversation regarding obtaining screenshots for recce photos.

The Story so far...
Bunny wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Top stuff Silk.

In the pics, the red TARGET circle doesn't seem to be above an actual target or am I missing something ?

Silk wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 am

For clarity, that's correct. The red marking on the map is to show where the target area is/will be. Unfortunately one aspect of flying in VR is that it is difficult to get a normal 2D screenshot of the actual area complete with buildings so I have had to come up with a way of producing screenshots using the FME to avoid the faff-on of recording a mission, playing it back in 2d, taking a screenshot, converting back to VR experience, etc etc. What I've actually done is created a blank 'mission' with nothing at all in it. I then focus on the target area in 3D view in the ME then open the blank one to take a screenshot using the Microsoft Snipping Tool. I can't do this in the actual mission file in FME as there is no way to remove all of the range circles and other entity markers.

Apologies for the somewhat inexact workaround, but we will continue to try and find a way of presenting the recce photos that will be more acceptable. In the meanwhile just pretend that they have been examined by the PR boffins who all have much, much better eyesight than you all and can spot a Soviet fieldmouse battalion nesting on the steppe. Woah

PS - if you would like to designate IP locations and/or any routes to/between/from targets I will include those on the actual mission Thumbup
Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 am
Is it too much hassle to simply run the game in 2D, switch to the camera, take a screenshot or 2 then enable VR again?

A pain but it only takes a minute to switch between the two.
Silk wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 am
That would mean setting up to fly again with either the hat-switch view or head tracking software. I'm kind of trying to avoid the hassle of keeping on switching between the two just to take a screenshot if it is not absolutely necessary because every time I change something to do with my VR settings it sends the whole lot off on a tangent and I find almost everything changed.

Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:10 am
You don't need to fly at all. Spawn in, switch to the camera that you've placed at 500m or 3000m at an angle to the target and take a screenshot. Alternatively shove an enemy plane above the target, watch it from externals then pause it and take a screenshot at the most opportune moment.

Jacko wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 pm
Just to get recon photo I would run the game as SP with the pilot close to the target zone at the right alt.
You can use JGSME to switch settings between VR and flat earth

Silk wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm
Use what? Tell you what, lets not fill this thread with discussions on how best to get a screenshot for Recon photos - it looks like that may need it's own technical thread.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: Screenshots for recce photos

Post by Tom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Quick play in the editor. I see the problem with the yellow circles once all drawn lines/details are removed. But, with judicious use of angles and height you can print screen, copy to Paint or whatever editing software you use, tweak to add text and have an image without the yellow circles. I used to use Paint Shop Pro X with a WWII font added.

Below is an example albeit not the best as the targets are small. If you want me to produce images for Sunday's mission just say.

In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show