The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

New and revised mission groups

Prangster is the Resident Expert on Battle of Stalingrad mission designing and building. He will impart his great wisdom within the hallowed halls of this room.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

New and revised mission groups

Post by Silk »

Hey guys,

Buns asked me to revise some of the regular mission groups to bring them up to date for the North West Europe theatre and in particular for the Bodenplatte expansion set. So far I've come up with the following:

German:
4x Luftwaffe Fighters in two pairs. Logic is configured that they will either patrol an area for a set time then go home together or if one aircraft in a pair is damaged beyond a certain threshold, that pair will attempt to break off, go to their home airfield together and land. (I'll give more info about how to configure the options at a later date). Starting configuration is for 4x Bf109 G6.

4x Luftwaffe Ground Attack aircraft that will attack for a given period then go home and land. No on-damaged logic. Group goes home and lands after their attack. Starting configuration is 4x FW190 F8.

Light AAA Vierling. Same group as before, but with a 4xFlak38 Vierling ground-based mount.

German Armoured Group. 3x Panzer IVG and 3x Halftrack

Many other German groups remain useful. Trains, for instance, haven't changed and neither have level bombers or heavy flak.

Allied:
4x RAF Fighters in two pairs. Logic is configured that they will either patrol an area for a set time then go home together or if one aircraft in a pair is damaged beyond a certain threshold, that pair will attempt to break off, go to their home airfield together and land. Starting configuration is for 4x Spit IX

4x USAAF Fighters in two pairs. Logic is configured that they will either patrol an area for a set time then go home together or if one aircraft in a pair is damaged beyond a certain threshold, that pair will attempt to break off, go to their home airfield together and land. Starting configuration is for 4x P-47D

RAF Level Bombing group configured with 3x B-25. Basically a slightly updated allied level bombing group. Group goes home and lands after dropping.

4x USAAF Ground Attack aircraft that will attack for a given period then go home and land. No on-damaged logic. Group goes home and lands after their attack. Starting configuration is 4x P-47D in GA configuration.

US Heavy AAA - Updated allied AAA group.

US AAMG - Updated allied AAA group

US Armoured Group. 3x M4A3 and 3x Halftrack.

I think that this just about covers most situations as the groups are easily changed to different aircraft types, vehicle types, etc.

I aim to put a barge group together, but I would like to test whether they can sail under bridges first. Can anyone else think of an 'must have' groups for the next set of campaigns?

Jacko
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: New and revised mission groups

Post by Jacko »

Something I was building in was a random timer on the activate trigger so you are not always able to be sure which enemy are actually activated.

In terms of groups I was thinking a set of prepared targets like fuel dump, ammo dump, factories, other storage areas Hq defended (naturally).
As ATC was becoming more coordinated and effective by 1944. maybe a group to simulate detection of enemy air. Could be a message generated if in range of observation post and trigger to the way point of the enemy. Again a Random message could be generated to give inaccurate altitude and or heading (If this is useful I could work on it)
Special recognition - Odious Mission Designer
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

I have a group that could generate random aircraft, it would just be a change to the ones I use for my practice map using activate instead of spawn so that they only fire the once. the trouble with that would be that if you want them to also have the ability to break off and return home, the extra logic would become massive as you would need two 'return home' logic sets for each set of aircraft.

Prepared static targets would be quite easy. We would just have to decide collectively on which buildings and structures would compromise each and what defences were appropriate. The thing with things like HQs on the new map is that they would likely be in existing buildings in towns or sometimes just a collection of tents in a field surrounded by antennae and vehicles. There are also quite a lot of factories already on the Rheinland map, but again we could make our own.

Detection message shouldn't be too difficult, but the random factor could become very complicated. Feel free to give it a go though. One idea might be just a 'chance to generate' a response or a message each set to 50% on the timer. This could mean that you either get a warning but no response, a response but no warning, no response and no warning or a response and a warning (for instance).

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

Jacko - you have mail.

Fritz
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Fritz »

I really can't think of any other groups necessary at the moment - it looks like you have most everything covered. Anything else would be a bit more mission / situational specific I think.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

ZIP file of new and revised groups has been emailed out to all mission builders. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

Just sent out a group for 3x Bf109 G14 to take off, go to a target, attack area for 10 mins then fly home and land. The planes seemed to fly in echelon right.

Prangster recently posted a group with destroyed buildings for the Rheinland map too.

Bunny
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bunny »

Thanks for your hard work on these Silk. They will help a lot.

Cheers
Bunster
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Bunny
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bunny »

I can get barges to sail up and down canals but not tested under bridges yet.

It might be nice to introduce "busy" airfield groups that we can use on allied airfields in BoBp? A couple of a/c in the pattern, some vehicles moving around.

I did once create a situation in IL21946 where a B24 bomber came into the base with damage and crash landed on the airfield. Then a number of vehicles (ambulance, trucks etc) drove out to meet it. Took a doing time to get the timings correct.
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

I've just been looking at the groups that Prang used for his mission on Sunday and they have fewer 'moving parts' than mine do for getting aircraft to go home if one of a pair is damaged. I'll work these into a couple of variants and send them out for use instead of my ones.

Silk
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk »

With all of the revisions that these groups have been getting, I may just move the repository to an online location and keep the updated versions there for you guys to access