The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Fritz
United States of America
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Fritz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Reggie wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
By the way - the e-mail address you put on was the google place we all know and love. If that first part looks wrong let us know.
Okay, thanks - what's what it should be.
Tom wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:25 am
Odd as I did send an email thought it expressed reservations about the time zone. I’ll double-check later.
Strange indeed. I've been diligently checking all my folders as well as the spam folder just in case it got dumped in there, but so far I haven't received anything.

Thanks Tom.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 pm

I just put in my papers to recruitment. Got my fingers crossed that the RAF isn’t too discerning when it comes to recruiting pilots from America.

In terms of planned sorties, it is my understanding that the schedule posted corresponds to UK time? I’m available every day 3pm-7pm EST which would be 8-12 in the UK, but 8-12 in the US will be too late for me.

Hope to speak to you soon

Peter

Bunny
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Bunny » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Peter.
We fly ops missions on each Sunday at 9pm UK time. So I would say your available time slots seem to.fir it well.
Bunster
F/Lt Bunny
145 Squadron B Flight Leader, Blue Section
Executive Officer 145 Squadron.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Outstanding!

Is there a particular aircraft that would be beneficial to get some practice on while my papers are being processed? What does the OTU fly?

Dutch
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Dutch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi Peter,

At the moment we're flying the 109 E7 on ops, although I think in OTU they fly a Russian a/c - maybe the Lagg?

(We swop sides every so often between Russian/German)
I wanna go full-horrible. Take me to the nasties.

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

I suppose I’ll keep bopping around in my hurricane for now then

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Not sure what Merlin is using for OTUs at the moment - I've done four sets of missions for it - summer and winter for Lagg3 and Bf-109 (possibly the F2?).

Welcome anyway :)

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

18thEastern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm
I suppose I’ll keep bopping around in my hurricane for now then
We're swapping sides to enjoy all facets of the game. That means it is very likely that in the future we will be Soviet, LW, RAF and possibly USAAF.

If folks don't want to explore everything that is absolutely fine, but they probably won't be a good fit with us.

Cheers

Tom
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm

That doesn’t bother me. I just like to do a ton of reading on the front end of my mounts before I jump into the cockpit.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

18thEastern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm
That doesn’t bother me. I just like to do a ton of reading on the front end of my mounts before I jump into the cockpit.
Oh dear that might make you too intellectual for Bunny. We tend to just jump in and hare around until the engine pops.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:17 pm

We learn the campaign aircraft well. Currently flying 1941 Operation Typhoon Jabo missions in Bf-109E7 with extra armor and even after dropping bombs those empty racks slow you down. MiGs are faster. We'll do some work in Bf-110s. Aside from manual radiators and coolers and throttle limits IL2 doesn't require much detailed a/c book knowledge. It does require lots of practice with our new a/c each campaign to get it right. You can't fight these E models like the G models we flew a couple campaigns ago.

After 12-15 missions/weeks we'll move to the 1941 Soviet side and MiGs and I-16s.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I like the book knowledge, the story of its development and design helps me learn its personality

Frosty
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

BF 110s are super cool

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 pm

110s are great fun.

Yeah, but I'm glad we don't have to learn a phone-book thick Dash-1 manual and balance fuel between tanks and have partial bus failures and have to know what's AC and what's DC because AC lies and DC dies and I'm glad we can slave controls to HOTAS rather than clickable cockpits (the early P-38 is a nightmare for this in real life) where we have to reach under the seat and out of sight to actuate a control necessary to prepare for combat when the enemy is sighted.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Fritz
United States of America
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

Post by Fritz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Hey Peter -

I can attest to the fact that TP has no issues with signing up pilots from the U.S. as long as you can make the training flights and the Sunday ops (and after OTU, either the Tuesday fun flights or Friday night flights). In in the same boat - my schedule makes it easy for me to make Tuesdays and Sundays.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker