The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Tom »

Bemmo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:25 pm

currently only have access to guest area
Fixed.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Tufty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tufty »

Bemmo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 am

firstly for those of you who have seen my recent attempts at taking off, my apologies. Secondly, on the odd occasion when I have made it off the runway, I wish to reassure you all that until there are some signs of improvement, I will continue to land using the "crash alongside the runway technique", thus avoiding leaving various parts of my plane on the runway. A technique with which I have become extremely familiar over the last couple of weeks and IMHO, have become quite good at.
Dont worry about it mate, Im in the same boat with the Spit.
Takeoffs are fine, but taxiing and landings are dreadful for me.
Like the idea of parallel landing, might do that myself! :rof_salute
Andy, the original Andy, not a pretender to the throne Andy :rof_cool
Moggy’s Yorkshire Vocal Coach

Bemmo
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

Post by Bemmo »

Find its best to parallel land the opposite side to where the planes are parked, sometimes people can get a little upset if you use their planes to assist in stopping.

Bunny
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bunny »

When you land, always pull back on the stick when you're rolling down the runway and keep some throttle on, sort of drive it onto the runway rather than let it just fall onto the runway. Then slowly brake or just let it roll to the end of the strip. It is tricky but as everyone will tell you, I am an expert :-)
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Sparky
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Sparky »

Bunny wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:52 pm
When you land, always pull back on the stick when you're rolling down the runway and keep some throttle on, sort of drive it onto the runway rather than let it just fall onto the runway. Then slowly brake or just let it roll to the end of the strip. It is tricky but as everyone will tell you, I am an expert :-)
I don't use the power-on approach but do roll in a bit of power (just a bit) to give me rudder effectiveness so I don't ground loop as I slow down. Also, on the Spit you can apply 100% brake as soon as all the wheels are on the ground. On many a/c that would stand you on your nose but on the Spit, never. Just stand on the brakes.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Reggie
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie »

Tom wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:29 pm
Bemmo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:25 pm

currently only have access to guest area
Fixed.
This is because the process has always been full forum access granted after first OTU flight :rof_wink
Back in No1 Squadron again :yay
Reggie - website and forum dude.

Nick
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick »

Do any of you guys use reshade or 3Dmigoto at all with your setups and with any success?

Was struggling to spot a lot of stuff last night so been fiddling about with various settings today and it's looking a little bit better, but was considering trying those shader mods to see if that improves things as well as they seem reasonably popular at the moment. This is all on a monitor and not VR.

Bunny
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bunny »

A few of us use those yes.
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Gosho
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gosho »

That is borderline cheating imho but they're quite popular, indeed.

Can't use those in VR, so I can't comment much more than that.

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Tom »

Gosho wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:46 am
That is borderline cheating imho...

Can't use those in VR...
Oooh controversial!

3DMigoto and Reshade are both useable in VR. 3DMigoto is useable with mods off. Personally I use 3DMigoto only because my philosophy is that the more stuff you cram onto the base game the more there is to go wrong.

3DMigoto is very useful but I'm not that much of a fan with it being used with the alternate visibility - it allows you to identify aircraft types from way too far away.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Gosho
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gosho »

Any third-party software which can give the user an in-game advantage over someone who does not have it is in my opinion cheating.

It is not difficult to imagine a situation where contacts are marked on your screen (as if markers were turned on) by a third-party software which is being injected into the game or a system library. Reshade is just that - you're replacing your DirectX libraries with those provided by Reshade. Same for 3DMigoto with alternate visibility.

The line is very thin.

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Tom »

It is a very interesting question about what constitutes cheating. For me anything that that gives an unfair advantage not available to others could be considered cheating, for example injected player markers.

Alternate visibility is coded into the game, and is enabled/disabled as a server side option. If you could enable it when it is disabled server-side that'd be cheating.

I haven't tried Reshade but if it isn't useable in mods off servers then there isn't a problem. In mods-on servers it is ok and as it is available to everyone it cannot be cheating.

3DMigoto is available to everyone mods on or off. I don't really like how it interacts with the alternate visibility though. It just doesn't look "right". On that note, when I lived in Macclesfield we'd come "over the top" from Buxton and from high up we could see airliners landing at Manchester around 12 miles away in a straight line. Even in good conditions it was hard to see them, but a WWII fighter at 1/3 of the length and in camouflage would have been impossible to see. With alternate visibility and 3DMigoto you can see and identify fighters at that distance or more.

More of an advantage in pvp is Track IR over VR, or a bigger/4k monitor than someone else. Even to the point of a funky HOTAS/pedals setup over a limited setup.

Armstrong & Miller Show

Gosho
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gosho »

Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:34 pm
I haven't tried Reshade but if it isn't useable in mods off servers then there isn't a problem. In mods-on servers it is ok and as it is available to everyone it cannot be cheating.
Reshade injects code in your Windows DirectX libraries and the devs can do nothing about it nor can they even know you're using it. 3DMigoto does basically the same thing. It is available to everyone, true but any other piece of software I put online can be available for everybody. Aimbots included. I know of people who use software which gives them a clearly visible indication of whether they're in coordinated flight or not and what rudder correction they need to make. Think of it as a digital turn-and-bank indicator placed nicely always on top of the screen, clearly visible in a dogfight, for example.
Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:34 pm
More of an advantage in pvp is Track IR over VR, or a bigger/4k monitor than someone else. Even to the point of a funky HOTAS/pedals setup over a limited setup.
We all know this game is pay-to-win :rof_lol :rof_lol :rof_lol

I feel like I am getting in an argument with a lawyer and I don't like that :rof_pilotfly

Silk
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Silk »

Don't do that, Gosho - he'll charge you by the day!

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Tom »

I think we're broadly on the same page with stuff that affects how things look and those nasty little software hacks that make cheaters into killers. I don't lump 3DMigoto in with them but that might be because I only use its zoom function. When VR resolutions approach 4k per eye I may not even need that.

Armstrong & Miller Show