The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Nick
Corporal
Corporal
Registered for: 3 months

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Nick »

Obviously a more controversial topic that I was expecting it to be and I hadn't thought of it in that way! Turning down the contrast and changing the AA has helped a little bit over the standard config I had before. Will continue to fiddle about with graphics settings in game and see what works the best for me.

TP_Andy
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by TP_Andy »

Happy Reshade user here - and a proud one. Sorry chaps.

Visibility is a subject of constant change in simulators with the 'alternate visibility' settings being prime example of it in Il-2. We all experienced patches which change our spotting perceptions significantly in both ways and I don't really see much of a problem in trying to normalize this setting to more or less constant one the Player is used to and comfortable with.

Putting equals between Reshade and cheating is fairly harsh to me since a) it's definitely not a spotting panacea (in certain conditions it can make things even worse), B) it's readily available to every Player and last but not least C) it allows for better graphics than the stock game settings with smaller FPS drop tradeoffs for many players with low or mid-tier rigs.

I can understand this maybe could be an issue in some higher ranks of competititve gaming but I dare to say this is most definitely not what we do.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Andy, BSc. SSc.
- Obltn, Red Schwarm's No. 3, Staffel 1 of II./JG 26, intelligence officer

- F/Sgt, Blue section's No.3, B flight of No. 601 Squadron

- Also known as veteran of BP RAF1, UT, DGHL, KC, SA, SOTK and LA campaigns
- Also known by the name Horror by (Mission) Design

Gosho
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Registered for: 3 years 2 months

Post by Gosho »

TP_Andy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am
Happy Reshade user here - and a proud one. Sorry chaps.

Visibility is a subject of constant change in simulators with the 'alternate visibility' settings being prime example of it in Il-2. We all experienced patches which change our spotting perceptions significantly in both ways and I don't really see much of a problem in trying to normalize this setting to more or less constant one the Player is used to and comfortable with.

Putting equals between Reshade and cheating is fairly harsh to me since a) it's definitely not a spotting panacea (in certain conditions it can make things even worse), B) it's readily available to every Player and last but not least C) it allows for better graphics than the stock game settings with smaller FPS drop tradeoffs for many players with low or mid-tier rigs.

I can understand this maybe could be an issue in some higher ranks of competititve gaming but I dare to say this is most definitely not what we do.
Yep, no point arguing - on that I agree :rof_salute

Fritz
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Fritz »

Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:00 pm
I don't lump 3DMigoto in with them but that might be because I only use its zoom function. When VR resolutions approach 4k per eye I may not even need that.
That's the only thing I use 3Dmigoto for as well. For me, in the Rift S, the stock VR zoom actually makes things worse. With the newer view distance options, I can now see aircraft way off, but they are just basically plane shapes until I get very close (within a couple miles). The stock VR zoom actually makes it worse in that when I try to zoom in on them at a distance, they lose that "blob" effect and it makes seeing them even more difficult. The 3DMigoto zoom negates that issue, so I can see them more clearly and - with my experience in growing up next to a military base - more realistically.

That said, I also don't necessarily like the fact that I can clearly identify aircraft out to 25+ kilometers with 3DMigoto's zoom function (rather than just see that aircraft are out there), but then there were many pilots - like Yeager - who were able to see German fighters at ranges that approached 50 miles. So... *shrug*

I don't do PvP, so I can't comment on that really, but I would definitely agree that anything that gives one pilot an advantage over another due to injected programming would be unfair.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tom »

Nick wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 pm
Obviously a more controversial topic that I was expecting it to be and I hadn't thought of it in that way!
That's ok - next we'll start on how the P51 (British specification and engine with a German designer) won the war.

Any other suggestions anyone, before Sparky starts on his P51 arguments?
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Sparky
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by Sparky »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm
...P51 (British specification...
Britain asked for North American Aviation to make them P-40s. NAA said, "Hold my beer."

Of course Britain built good fighters too, like the Spitfire, beautiful, maneuverable, with a combat range of a chained dog.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Fritz
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Fritz »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm
That's ok - next we'll start on how the P51 (British specification and engine with a German designer) won the war.

Any other suggestions anyone, before Sparky starts on his P51 arguments?
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper

BlackTop
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Registered for: 2 months

Post by BlackTop »

Hello chaps!

Registered the other day and just wanted to say "Hello" to everyone.

07 :rof_salute

Bunny
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bunny »

Welcome Black Top. Good luck on OTU and I'm sure we will speak on comms soon.
S!
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"

Tufty
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tufty »

Guys,
I can vouch for Blacktop, I have flown with him in the past in CLod, and he lives near me.
It would be good to fly with him again, so please consider him for no1 squadron if he wants to join and when he passes OTU.
He will be a good addition to the squad.
Hes not yorkshire, but like most of you lot, I don't hold that against him 😀
Last edited by Tufty on Sat May 09, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy, the original Andy, not a pretender to the throne Andy :rof_cool
Moggy’s Yorkshire Vocal Coach

Nummy
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Nummy »

Stappers--this is your old Wingie, Nummy.
If you'll come back, I will too.
You too Tiger . . . (Though I have to get a new flight sim computer to handle new stuff.)
I miss your gruff voices.

Stappers, I remember when we transferred to No. 43, new boys there.
First mission, Norway, in our old Gladiators, we shot down two planes, an He 111 and something else.
The astonished Reggie said, "Hey you guys aren't too bad," or something similar.

Tiger, for you the fireball your old Mk I Hurribus made when you rammed a He111 in the Battle of France about spring 2011.
Glorious. The finest explosion I ever saw.
Ha ha.

Anyway, let's hobble to the cockpits, toss out crutches to the erks, and go hunting. :rof_mad
Cheers.
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.

BlackTop
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

Post by BlackTop »

Tufty wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:41 am
Guys,
I can vouch for Blacktop, i flown with him in the past in CLod, and he lives near me.
It would be good to fly with him again, so please consider him for no1 squadron if he wants to join and when he passes OTU.
He will be a good addition to the squad.
Hes not yorkshire, but like most of you lot, I don't hold that against him 😀
Thanks Tufty it is very kind of you to make such comments.

As for Yorkshire, does my Father being born in Leeds count? :rof_biggrin

BlackTop
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

Post by BlackTop »

Bunny wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:39 am
Welcome Black Top. Good luck on OTU and I'm sure we will speak on comms soon.
S!
Thanks for the welcome Bunny. It is good to be here and as you say we will no doubt speak on comms in the near future.

Tufty
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tufty »

As for Yorkshire, does my Father being born in Leeds count?
Of course!
You can have honorary whippet status.

Ooops... shouldn't have mentioned whips, Hatter may be listening.
:rof_biggrin
Andy, the original Andy, not a pretender to the throne Andy :rof_cool
Moggy’s Yorkshire Vocal Coach

Tom
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Tom »

Another northerner? They'll let anyone in these days...

Go here - http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk/recruitment.htm - if you want top volunteer for ops. 4 OTU sessions over 4 weeks, with participation on Tuesdays or Fridays, and you too can watch Tufty's "landings".
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show