The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderator: Bunny

Jacko
Air Marshall
Air Marshall
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Jacko »

Hunter wrote: Who would play CloD as initially launched now? I'd put money on Zilcho.

Now now Hunter thats not a fair question CloD was not flyable for me when it was first launched, I don't think I ever used the tea towel either :)
Special recognition - Odious Mission Designer
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/
9./JG52 Meyer

Post by 9./JG52 Meyer »

Hunter this is indeed true , however i dont ever remember the bods that made clod have the cheek to ask for more dosh for another
game using the same parameters as the first which is kaput .( 70 ODD QUID TO BOOT) :))
Why do they not at least try to fix the first offering before asking for more geld for what is in essence the same game engine with the same probs
Am i missing something ? has going to the side of " Got mit uns" pickled my postie brain ? :p
Anyway hope yall well and dandy . BigByte leave yourself alone! he he [-x
Merlin i shall be looking for you over IOW
"Hals und Beinbruch HORRIDO!" :salute
Merlin
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Merlin »

I'll be checking six every six seconds Herr Meyer, with 'Brave Sir Robin' mode at the ready ;)
"It's a Squadron scramble sir"-"don't be wet, I'm still rebooting."
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Hunter »

Meyer, Sorry for some reason I missed your post when it was first done.

How true the company making IL2 BoS are asking for more money without having fixed the original game. The creators of CloD just abandoned the game without finishing it. They both seem (to me) inferior in integrity to the original IL2 team, which did try to give you a finished product. Or am I falsely remembering a golden age?
"Let them eat cake." Johnson.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
FRED BRANYAN

QUESTIONS

Post by FRED BRANYAN »

Hello Tangmere

I am a retired US Army helicopter pilot with a life long interest in the Battle of Britain. I am also retired from full time work. I live in PA on the East coast and am guessing I am 5 hours behind the UK. Would this time difference permit participation in training/missions etc.? If yes, the bad news I have never flown on line and use HSFX 6 to do battle vs computer opponents. So I would need your advice on commo gear etc needed to participate. I do have the IL 2 CDs although Cliffs of Dover has never run right on my computer. I must confess I set the prop to auto or 100% pitch depending on the plane so although I obviously know how a variable pitch rotor works on a chopper I need some help on adjusting prop settings in combat if auto is not what you folks use, and I am guessing it is not. As far as formation flying goes, I have at least 1000 hours chopper formation time and somewhere in the area of at least 100 hours computer formation flying time at the beginning of downloaded missions, so that procedure should not be an issue hopefully. My father was in the USN during WWII which gave me the incentive to practice carrier ops especially landings if you get involved with those. So, before I fill out your sign up form, could one of your trainers please rattle my cage so we can determine if the time zone difference is OK and exactly what extra devices I need to get for commo, pedals etc etc. No rush since I am going to be out of town a lot thru mid August and could probably not start training until the week of 8/17.

I salute your rules/regs/code of conduct all of which demonstrate that yours is a class operation.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Fred Branyan
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Hi Fred

I deleted your email in case it got lifted.

The time difference isn't really a problem provided you can commit to the times we're online. It is usually a problem for those that work 9 to 5 or have commitments on Sunday afternoons US time.

For the rest there are loads of folks that only play offline before venturing online. A lot never go back. There is a learning curve but that's usually made easier to deal with when there is a bunch of folks gently poking fun at you (don't worry everyone is treated the same).

We've just finished a Battle of Britain campaign using IL2: Cliffs of Dover. Despite the game's immense promise it has been a difficult time. We're now flying for the VVS in Yaks over Velikiye Luki using IL2: Battle of Stalingrad. Hopefully we'll also fly Luftwaffe so we can use the game fully. I'm personally hoping for a fighter-bomber campaign near Murmansk.

I suggest you visit http://il2sturmovik.com to see what we're using. If you go for it they do sales occasionally but you'll need the premium version. I also suggest you navigate around our website as it tells you the campaigns we've done. And it's a piece of art.

For hardware you need controls for all aircraft controls. The cost/benefit is down to you but some use pedals some don't. Some have all singing HOTAS systems and others use a joystick and a keyboard. Personally I'd recommend a good HOTAS, pedals and Track IR. But it costs. If you've got a twist joystick just start with that but Track IR gives a quantum leap in immersion.

For comms you'll need a headset and integral (or separate) microphone. The software Teamspeak is free to download and use.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Cheers

Tom
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Jacko
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Jacko »

Hello Fred, thanks for the interest. believe me once you try flying with others online you won't want to do anything else. We have a Canadian or two in our number not american I know but the time difference has been ok for them.
Cheers
Jacko

Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Moggy »

Jacko wrote:Hello Fred, thanks for the interest. believe me once you try flying with others online you won't want to do anything else. We have a Canadian or two in our number not american I know but the time difference has been ok for them.
Cheers
Jacko
Nummy is an American and Hatter is practically American!
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Blackjack
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Blackjack »

Hi Fred, I joined this unit a few months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of flying with a live squadron. The challenging training program and the immersive campaigns are run professionally but nobody takes things too seriously. Here are some films I've made of the recent campaign to give you a taster.

"I also like to live dangerously"-Austin Powers,blackjack scene
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Dickie is the only true Canadian we've got. We try not to talk about Hatter. Or Bunny. Especially Bunny.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Reggie
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie »

Tom wrote:Dickie is the only true Canadian we've got. We try not to talk about Hatter. Or Bunny. Especially Bunny.
Yes that is because we are all afraid of Bunny at the moment as he has been given permission to shoot us should we not perform to the expectation of the great Russian leader :-o
Reggie - website and forum dude.
Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Moggy »

Reggie wrote:Yes that is because we are all afraid of Bunny at the moment as he has been given permission to shoot us should we not perform to the expectation of the great Russian leader :-o
You don't have to fear bunny's oppression any longer! He's accumulated even more political officer displeasure points and as the political officer he was given the choice of the immediate cessation of pot noodle rations or death.

He's turned the gun on himself!
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Bigbyte
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bigbyte »

Moggy wrote:
I heard he wanted to play Russian roulette but mistakenly loaded 6 bullets.
S/Ldr Bigbyte
Mothy's batman
Jacko
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Jacko »

Bigbyte wrote:
Moggy wrote:
I heard he wanted to play Russian roulette but mistakenly loaded 6 bullets.
Beware then the mind altering effects of the pot noodle he would rather blow his brains out than not eat another pot noodle 8-| ;;). Thankfully the pot noodle has not caught on in Holland if it did it would probably be some sort of rauw haring and mustard soup combo.

FRED BRANYAN

THANKS

Post by FRED BRANYAN »

Hello Tangmere

Tom and Jacko thanks for your info. Blackjack thanks for the links to the videos. I could hear the same love of flying in them that I used to hear on the radio and intercom 20+ years ago. Flying over Russia reminded me of flying over Pennsylvania and Massachusetts in the winter ha!

I found a few sites on prop rpm management so I will start practicing that immediately.

I have a Logitech joystick with rudder control and 4 switches on the joystick and 6 more on the base, plus a view hat and throttle. Seems like that will work for starters.

One of our daughters just had a baby this past Sunday between that fact and a trip to the West coast on 8/3-13 I am going to be a moving target until mid August. I am going to complete the application today with the understanding training will have to wait until approx 8/17. If any of you guys can please post sites for mics, headsets and other good gear I would be grateful. I will probably pass on pedals in the short run to see how the Logitech functions in a real war but I would appreciate suggestions for pedals also. I want to try to get all required gear on hand here before I leave on 8/3 so I can start training asap on return. Do I need to try to get Cliffs of Dover working? Seems like it was a Steam issue but I never did figure it out.

Many thanks and happy combat in the meantime.

Regards,

Fred