The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

An end of an era

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

An end of an era

Post by TP_Andy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Gentlemen,

pray, raise your glasses and hold a minute of silence for our fallen brother, my GTX 560ti who has been proclaimed KIA about an hour ago.

You will be missed, my old friend. :Cry

That said, I am afraid I won't make it for tonight's training and possibly for the sunday op. However, I am planning on getting a new GPU ASAP so there is still hope I'll appear on sunday all fresh and new and with significantly greater drawing distance.
As I am tight on budget, I've been thinking about some ti-ish version of GTX 1050 or a low-end version of 1060. I'd like to run BoX smoothly but no need for VR-grade possibilities. Any tips and advices?
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Spitfires over Kuban 2017 - 2018: Starshina Andy Andreyevich Schupkin
Spasibo Amerika - 2018 - ?
Defend the Goths Head Line 2018: Feldwebel Andy von Schupka (1st class Iron Cross, also shot by Bunny)

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: An end of an era

Post by Sparky » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Sorry for your loss. It's always better when one transitions voluntarily rather than when your video card dumps you for the afterlife. When she prefers the Grim Reaper that's gotta sting.

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Check you PSU can deal with a higher spec
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Jacko wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Check you PSU can deal with a higher spec
I checked the power draw of the old graphics card and in comparison with the 10xx series it's like a fully throttled T-34 against Toyota Prius hybrid. Even if it weren't for the massive graphic power progress, the new cards sure enough are more energy efficient.

Nevertheless, I have a 500W PSU so I hope this should not be much of a trouble anyway.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Defend the Goths Head Line 2018: Feldwebel Andy von Schupka (1st class Iron Cross, also shot by Bunny)

Gosho
Bulgaria
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gosho » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

Andy, 1050ti is the best value for money but if you can muster the buck for 1060 (3GB or 6GB), go for it.

Orr ... get Sparky's 1080ti for free as he needs a new one anyways :D

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Mine's a GTX 1080 (not a ti) but it's replacement won't come until the next gen 1180s arrive and I've been advised here to put the baby in a new desktop and not my gaming laptop. 1180 probably wouldn't fit in my gaming laptop anyway. But who wouldn't want my present card? After all, I've had such good luck with it. :Devil :Angry :Dodgy :Help :Help

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Gosho wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am
Andy, 1050ti is the best value for money but if you can muster the buck for 1060 (3GB or 6GB), go for it.

Orr ... get Sparky's 1080ti for free as he needs a new one anyways :D
Since I saw a nice discount at my local HW store I stretched up a bit and in the end went for MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GT OC, as you and a couple of my techy friends advised. I hope it will do for some time. At the moment I think the card's capabilities will be a bit bottlenecked by my motherboard and a bit older (but very trustworthy) AMD 6300 series CPU, but for the BoS, DCS and occasional video editing and guilty pleasures such as CSGO or World of Warcraft should do the trick. When the finance flow (read Ms Andy and my always-ready-to-get-broken 2004 Mondeo Combi) allow, I shall reinforce the rig with some i5 series and new MB. But that's plans for the long run.

Card ETA: tommorrow afternoon. :Lol
Non multi sed multa.

Gosho
Bulgaria
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gosho » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Sparky wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm
Mine's a GTX 1080 (not a ti) but it's replacement won't come until the next gen 1180s arrive and I've been advised here to put the baby in a new desktop and not my gaming laptop. 1180 probably wouldn't fit in my gaming laptop anyway. But who wouldn't want my present card? After all, I've had such good luck with it. :Devil :Angry :Dodgy :Help :Help
I'd advise that you take a regular desktop, indeed, but in the end that is a personal preference.

I was joking about passing on your GTX card - the laptop model won't nicely fit in Andy's desktop case, anyways :)