The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderator: Bunny

Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Silk »

Hi Chako and welcome. Big weekend coming up with the annual pilgrimage to Imperial War Museum Duxford's Flying Legends display. it may be a little quiet here for a day or two, so don't be disheartened :)
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Wow, Looks like all the great war birds should be there. Enjoy the show!
Jacko
Air Marshall
Air Marshall
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Jacko »

No need to worry about the name.
Special recognition - Odious Mission Designer
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

except "Chako" sounds like "Jacko" which is the radiotelephone proword for "disregard the following transmission" :Peace
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Tom »

Chako

ordinarily we are reluctant to consider cousins from across the pond - bar Sparky (and historically a couple of others) most people based in the Americas have fallen by the wayside when the time difference made things not work especially mid-afternoon on a Sunday - life, kids, wives and so on getting in the way.

Think carefully about whether or not you can commit to Sundays especially Sunday afternoon. If you think you can do it, complete the application form here:

http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk/recruitment.htm
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I completely understand your hesitation, normally Sundays are not a problem and I'd really like to get back up in the skies again. I'll move on with the paperwork, look forward to flying with you guys!
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Gents, I'm putting together some equipment as I've installed BOS and have started running some quick missions. Figure I ought to be able to get these birds in the air and then bring them back in one piece, but I need to pick up is a head tracking system for looking around. I'm wondering if TrackIR is still the preferred device? It's cumbersome as heck trying to use the mouse or stick to do this!
Thanks,
Chako
Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Bunny »

trackir is a very useful tool and most of us used it before VR support was introduced. If you buy an Oculus Rift or other supported VR device, I would recommend it.
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

It depends on cost. If you have an unlimited budget then VR is the way to go. If you are restricted (and remember that it is the cost of the pc hardware as well as the tracking thing) then Track IR will still do a great job.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

TrackIR will also give you full-screen monitor resolution. VR resolution is somewhat lower, but the trade-off comes with the immersion.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

All good information, I didn't realize VR is an option. At this point since I've got the computer I'll go with the TrackIR. VR is rapidly improving so down the line I'll probably make the switch.

S!
TP_Andy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by TP_Andy »

Hi Chako and welcome,

Just to show you all options there is also a little thingy called Aruco paper tracker. Basically it works very similar to the TrackIR but instead of tracking the LEDs/IR LEDs the webcam watches a QR-code-like pattern you print out and attach to your head via a cap. The software being used here is called Opentrack and it is a great opensource utility for IR/LED and also Arduino-driven tracking too.

Naturally, if the budged is not a trouble, go for TrackIR as it is the easiest, most accurate and user friendly way. Just wanted to mention this in case you or anyone else who comes new and is tight on budget so that they know a basic, fairly accurate headtracking device can be working for really few bucks. :-)
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Andy, BSc. SSc.
- F/Sgt, Blue section's No.3, B flight of No. 601 Squadron
- 1st Ltn, Red Section's No.3, 379th Fighter Squadron
- Obltn, Red Schwarm's No. 3, Staffel 1 of II./JG 26, intelligence officer

- Cast as one handsome devil in BotB, BP RAF1,122W, DW, VL, UT, DGHL, KC, SA, SOTK and LA campaigns
- Also known by the name Horror by (Mission) Design
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Ah, thanks for the tip. I was supposed to receive TrackIR today in fact, however I now see that it's going to be Tues. or Wed. Such is life!
Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Moggy »

Never regretted buying my track ir, should of bought it sooner!
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Merlin
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Merlin »

Hello Chako wot Bunny said but as you are US based check out the Samsung Odyssey VR headset available in the USA (cannot directly get it in Europe), best value/performance VR headset 'currently' in production.
"It's a Squadron scramble sir"-"don't be wet, I'm still rebooting."