The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Any throttle recommendations?

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Dutch
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Any throttle recommendations?

Post by Dutch »

I currently use a fairly old Thrustmaster T16000m joystick together with an even older Saitek x52 throttle. (the Thrustmaster replaced the Saitek joystick when it packed up).

The throttle is now failing. I've bodged a solution, but it needs replacing.

I can't justify the expense of a Warthog or other top end kit, & looking online the most realistic solution I can find is this Thrusmaster throttle which pairs with the 16000 joystick.

Seems pricey for what it is (cheapest I've seen is £75), but I can't find any other realistic options - does anyone have any alternate suggestions?

If not, it seems to make sense to pay an extra few quid & buy this to get a newer joystick at the same time.

Also, any opinion on whether this joystick/throttle combo would be adequate for use with a VR headset?
I wanna go full-horrible. Take me to the nasties.
Hunter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Re: Any throttle recommendations?

Post by Hunter »

I have the T master Throttle which coincidentally I bought to replace a X52 Throttle. It's a value for money piece of kit and it has served me well.

Probably the CH products are easier to operate and better laid out and better made though 50% more expensive. What I do miss is the easy to program Saitek options.
"Let them eat cake." Johnson.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Moggy »

Quick warning about CH throttle quadrants. They are not fully compatible with Windows 10 and CH have\will not update their drivers for Windows 10.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

I've used the Thrustmaster and think it is good value for money. But then I don't expect that much of a throttle - if it slides nicely and has enough buttons, I like it.
Dutch
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Dutch »

Thanks all for the input (& to Silk & Tom last night on comms)

My bodge on the Saitek throttle was fine last night, but when the time comes I will go for the 16000 joystick/throttle combo.
TP_Andy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by TP_Andy »

If still relevant and you are looking for a HOTAS combo replacement in the future, I can recommend the X-52 Pro. The pricing is reasonable, there are plenty of controls on both throttle and stick and the stick has hall sensor which is nice.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Andy, BSc. SSc.
- F/Sgt, Blue section's No.3, B flight of No. 601 Squadron
- 1st Ltn, Red Section's No.3, 379th Fighter Squadron
- Obltn, Red Schwarm's No. 3, Staffel 1 of II./JG 26, intelligence officer

- Cast as one handsome devil in BotB, BP RAF1,122W, DW, VL, UT, DGHL, KC, SA, SOTK and LA campaigns
- Also known by the name Horror by (Mission) Design
Dutch
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Dutch »

Thanks Andy,

It's actually an X52 throttle that I'm looking to replace - I liked the throttle a lot, but I never really got on with the stick, I found it too loose & floppy (insert Bunny gag here).

But then I bought the X52 a long time ago in about 2007, & I understand the X52 pro is an improved version, so maybe the feel has changed?
TP_Andy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by TP_Andy »

Of course, the fit depends on the user so it does not have to be your cup of tea. I cannot compare the Pro version with the 2007 edition as I never tried the old one, but to me the pro is fairly ergonomic and has a nice soft-touch feel and solid bases readily designed for mounting. If I had few more quid to spare, I would probably go for the updated version of X-56 Rhino, which has dual throttle and even more (and I'd say also more convenient) controls on the quadrant but the X-52 serves me well so far. Plus, it's the official Elite Dangerous HOTAS system so that's nice if you are into it, especially in VR (the controls layout euqals the real controls layout).
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Andy, BSc. SSc.
- F/Sgt, Blue section's No.3, B flight of No. 601 Squadron
- 1st Ltn, Red Section's No.3, 379th Fighter Squadron
- Obltn, Red Schwarm's No. 3, Staffel 1 of II./JG 26, intelligence officer

- Cast as one handsome devil in BotB, BP RAF1,122W, DW, VL, UT, DGHL, KC, SA, SOTK and LA campaigns
- Also known by the name Horror by (Mission) Design
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Tom »

Another option - Thrustmaster have a sale on at the moment and you can get the T.16000M bundle for £100 - https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/win ... hotas.html .
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Dutch
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Dutch »

Tom wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:31 am Another option - Thrustmaster have a sale on at the moment and you can get the T.16000M bundle for £100 - https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/win ... hotas.html .
Cheers, yes when the time comes, that's the way I'll go - Amazon selling for similar price.

At the moment the X-52 throttle bodge is working, but it will need replacing I'm sure.