The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Nummy »

Hi Chaps:
As a former world traveler with nowhere to go now, and hunkered down
behind his monitor in Texas, El Nummo is getting ready to blow his cash
on a good IL2/BoS flight sim computer.
The concept is 'Top of the Line' for 2019, as TOL for 2020 is financially out of the question.
Comments and advice about what works well and what doesn't, gratefully acknowledged.

Cheers
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Prangster
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Prangster »

VR or no VR Mummy?
F/Sgt. Prangster
Yellow 2, No.601 Sqn
UF-F
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Tom »

Budget?
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

That might be beside the question but if you wait a few more weeks prices might drop significantly. As unfortunate as that may be ...
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Hey Gosho, a few weeks I will wait . . . .

Currently, no VR Prang, but it is the desired goal.

My Thousand League Boots being put away in the closet for the CV duration,
seems time to amp up the flying.

I'll look again in April . . . hmmmm.

Thanks Chaps
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

I'd buy now before supply lines disrupt even more and cabin fever causes even more folks to buy new computers. I'd buy a VR optimized rig and a VR headset from the get-go.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Sparky, I agree on VR and optimized rig.

Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Sparky »

Don't be surprised if your first VR flight makes you queasy. Limit it to a few minutes. Each day it will be less problematic but don't push beyond early queasiness. Within a few flights you should have no more problem and the increase in immersion and realism will bar a return to a flat screen.

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Hi Sparky.
Cast iron gut here.
I'm the guy made my flight instructor sick. (More than once)
Seasick--almost--only twice in my life--in an offshore gale 200 miles off Cape Hatteras in 1978,
trying to read the HO 249 tables and figure out where the hell I was, had to bolt to the deck.
Then, rolling in a calm over the bar at Rockland Maine, having had nothing to eat in 24 hours,felt a bit 'urpy'.
Other than that, put me in Blind Flying goggles, turn the plane upside down, and roll that sucker all you want.
Probably puke my guts up in VR.
But looking forward to it anyway.

Cheers

Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Sparky »

Nummy, we're in the same time zone so when you get your rig up, we can fly while all these Limeys snore and drool the night away. We can go on a public server or do a co-op. Dogfighting me is like bagging a target drone, only easier.

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Okay chaps: The era of the new computer is here in a month or so.
I have 1000 US dollars (804 BP) as the very top budget limit.
Also, my former computer builder is no longer available.

My thoughts are simply to purchase and have shipped to me the
best flight sim computer I can find from such vendors as Newegg, etc.
This computer has to do double duty as a Video maker, so it needs
a whopper of a hard drive, 4 TBs minimum I am told.
Reading the forums says I need 16Gs memory, plus whatever video card
makes them work together.
Any advice any TP has will be deeply appreciated.
I won't at first have VR, but that is the direction I want to go,
and if a VR compliant rig can be had for the above funds, so much the better.

Sparky, yep, I have done some flying--and running for my life--on the MP servers.
First thing I noticed ya gotta have a wingman.
Or a very fast climbing plane.
See ya there.
Haha.

Thanks chaps, Nummy

Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

Nummy, can we assume you already have all peripherals you need - i.e. good monitor, mouse + keyboard, headset + mic, etc.?

Is there are a chance you have a case and some fans from an older rig? Maybe a PSU? I could be getting out of hand here :) but if you can salvage any of the non-essential components from a PC you already own, most of the budget can be spent on a juicy video card and CPU which you will need for VR and video editing.
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Hi Gosho:
I do have a case--slightly dented as a brick I was using as a book press fell on it.
Diabolical I thought, but it made me realize my old machine was kaput anyway.
I have extra funds for a new monitor--my old one went south at the same time my old PC did.
Mouse, keyboard, headset are good.
It seems that it's been a long time since a from the ground up build and it might be the way to go.
I do have a nephew who builds computers and I might be able to twist his arm.
He is into VR so knows the ropes that direction.

But I like the idea of a juicy video card and CPU.
Ooooh.....tell me their names please.
Oooh, Simone and Deborah . . .
Ha ha.

Thanks, Nummy

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

I'm surfing the net and this came up which is affordable.
Would something like this work for Il2--and video editing?

https://www.newegg.com/allegiance-gamin ... 000P-00009

Thanks

Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

Nummy, I jumped in a web-site (https://www.letsbld.com) to quickly create a configuration to your requirements albeit slightly above your budget. I haven't used these guys but wanted to just give you a ball park. Here it is:

CASE:
NZXT H510 (White) $69.99

GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - ZOTAC GAMING $279.99

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz $119.99

CPU COOLING:
DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE $29.99

MOTHERBOARD:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK $109.99

RAM:
XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB 3000MHz $79.99

SSD:
WD Blue 3D NAND 250.0 GB $49.99

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 4.0 TB $99.99

POWER:
NZXT C750 Gold $109.99

SOFTWARE:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home $119.99

SERVICE:
$99.00

Total: $1,168.90

If you can twist your nephew's arm, maybe those $99 could disappear.

The video card and processor are should work for IL2 in VR, I believe. Anyone else reading this - correct me, if I am wrong.

Take this with a pinch of salt, of course - if anyone has better ideas on how to balance the budget, shoot. Truth of the matter is a VR-ready rig is still quite expensive, unfortunately.