The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

SSD or HDD?

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

charlie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

SSD or HDD?

Post by charlie »

Hi chaps,

I only have one HDD currently and this is a few years old. I'm getting itchy about the need to back up images/files etc and would like a second drive to store onto as well. I can't decide whether to go for SSD which I know is faster, uses less energy but pound for pound does not get me as much storage space as a HDD.

I would probably keep gaming stuff on the HDD I have (1TB SATA600 7200rpm) and backup everything else to a second, new drive.

Another can of worms opening here but just wondering what recommendations you could make for a decent, reliable drive and what do you folks have please?
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No1 Sqn

"Success in life consists of going from one mistake to the next without losing your enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
http://www.behance.net/search?search=ch ... user_tags=
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: SSD or HDD?

Post by Tom »

HDD if it is just for storage.

Also consider getting a 2TB external drive for backup - around £60-£80.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
charlie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by charlie »

Thanks Tom, recommendations for what you mentioned? I was looking at Seagate or Toshiba on Amazon (£60 ish)
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No1 Sqn

"Success in life consists of going from one mistake to the next without losing your enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

If you want it only for storage and backup, HDD is the way. They are basically on the end of the development journey (internal ones), so it doesn't really matter which one you take, as long as its from a respected manufacturer. They are pretty much on the same level.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
charlie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by charlie »

Cheers, so Seagate or Toshiba would be a fair choice?
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No1 Sqn

Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

Depends on what exactly you want. Seagates are usually more speedy less reliable. I don't have any experience with Toshibas though.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
charlie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by charlie »

Cheers all, I went for the Seagate 2TB Slim, 2 yr guarantee - it voted best for 2020 on a number of different sites. :rof_salute
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No1 Sqn

Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Tom »

Forgot to say - always check comparability with your motherboard etc. Less issues with a HDD but some SSDs can be a bit sensitive.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Bemmo

Post by Bemmo »

Hi Everyone

I went for this option last week, dead easy to install and does not need any separate power supply, just plugs straight into your MB( just check compatible) Seagate Barracuda 500 GB