The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderator: Bunny

Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Bunny »

Bemmo,

We don't have Discord. Im sure any of us would be more than happy to help you. If you can join us tonight at around 8, I will be there and can help you if I can. Getting the Spit to behave on the ground can be a challenge sometimes.

Keep prop pitch fully forward before you start the engine.
Keep prop pitch forward while moving out to the runway, apply brakes gently and keep the throttle to a walking pace. it takes practice.
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Bemmo

Post by Bemmo »

Oops

did not to mean to cause confusion, should have put " having now been enlightened that most of the time people tend to be on the Discord server, on various servers" Did not mean to infer there is a TP Discord Channel.

Bemmo
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

Ah I see. Well, we have flights every Tuesday, Friday and obviously Sunday. I sometimes fly on other days too, but that depends entirely on whether I have time or feel like it, so there is no plan :D

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Bemmo

Post by Bemmo »

Thanks Eddie, was just thinking with the current restrictions tending to be online a lot and would be great to see when others were also online for a catch up and maybe some flying on a server that was available. My discord tends to always be on when I'm online and is an easy way to see if tagged friends are around at the same time.
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

Bemmo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am Thanks Eddie, was just thinking with the current restrictions tending to be online a lot and would be great to see when others were also online for a catch up and maybe some flying on a server that was available. My discord tends to always be on when I'm online and is an easy way to see if tagged friends are around at the same time.
Bemmo, what time are you usually on and what is your timezone in general?
Bemmo

Post by Bemmo »

Hi Gosho

based in the UK so GMT, tend to be on most weekdays from around 1530 hrs until 1700 hrs, then again from 1800 hrs until 20/2100 hrs. On the weekend it depends on how long the wife's job list is, but typically will jump on for a couple of hours in the morning from 0800-1000hrs and then again in the afternoon from 1700 hrs until 2100hrs. Stop up after bedtime (2130hrs) on TP nights.

Regards

Bemmo
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Bemmo you can post in The Lounge as you should have access to that - let me know if you don't.

My view is you should be online most TP nights then we can help you along. That'll be easiest and it's no bother.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Bemmo

Post by Bemmo »

Thanks Tom

currently only have access to guest area

Regards

Bemmo
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Bemmo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:25 pm
Fixed.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Tufty
Sergeant
Sergeant
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Tufty »

Bemmo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 am
firstly for those of you who have seen my recent attempts at taking off, my apologies. Secondly, on the odd occasion when I have made it off the runway, I wish to reassure you all that until there are some signs of improvement, I will continue to land using the "crash alongside the runway technique", thus avoiding leaving various parts of my plane on the runway. A technique with which I have become extremely familiar over the last couple of weeks and IMHO, have become quite good at.
Dont worry about it mate, Im in the same boat with the Spit.
Takeoffs are fine, but taxiing and landings are dreadful for me.
Like the idea of parallel landing, might do that myself! :rof_salute
Andy, the original Andy, not a pretender to the throne Andy :rof_cool
Moggy’s Yorkshire Vocal Coach

Post by Bemmo »

Find its best to parallel land the opposite side to where the planes are parked, sometimes people can get a little upset if you use their planes to assist in stopping.
Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Bunny »

When you land, always pull back on the stick when you're rolling down the runway and keep some throttle on, sort of drive it onto the runway rather than let it just fall onto the runway. Then slowly brake or just let it roll to the end of the strip. It is tricky but as everyone will tell you, I am an expert :-)
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Bunny wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:52 pm When you land, always pull back on the stick when you're rolling down the runway and keep some throttle on, sort of drive it onto the runway rather than let it just fall onto the runway. Then slowly brake or just let it roll to the end of the strip. It is tricky but as everyone will tell you, I am an expert :-)
I don't use the power-on approach but do roll in a bit of power (just a bit) to give me rudder effectiveness so I don't ground loop as I slow down. Also, on the Spit you can apply 100% brake as soon as all the wheels are on the ground. On many a/c that would stand you on your nose but on the Spit, never. Just stand on the brakes.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Reggie
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie »

Tom wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:29 pm
Bemmo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:25 pm
Fixed.
This is because the process has always been full forum access granted after first OTU flight :rof_wink
Reggie - website and forum dude.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Do any of you guys use reshade or 3Dmigoto at all with your setups and with any success?

Was struggling to spot a lot of stuff last night so been fiddling about with various settings today and it's looking a little bit better, but was considering trying those shader mods to see if that improves things as well as they seem reasonably popular at the moment. This is all on a monitor and not VR.