The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderator: Bunny

Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Bunny »

A few of us use those yes.
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

That is borderline cheating imho but they're quite popular, indeed.

Can't use those in VR, so I can't comment much more than that.
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Gosho wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:46 am That is borderline cheating imho...

Can't use those in VR...
Oooh controversial!

3DMigoto and Reshade are both useable in VR. 3DMigoto is useable with mods off. Personally I use 3DMigoto only because my philosophy is that the more stuff you cram onto the base game the more there is to go wrong.

3DMigoto is very useful but I'm not that much of a fan with it being used with the alternate visibility - it allows you to identify aircraft types from way too far away.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

Any third-party software which can give the user an in-game advantage over someone who does not have it is in my opinion cheating.

It is not difficult to imagine a situation where contacts are marked on your screen (as if markers were turned on) by a third-party software which is being injected into the game or a system library. Reshade is just that - you're replacing your DirectX libraries with those provided by Reshade. Same for 3DMigoto with alternate visibility.

The line is very thin.
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

It is a very interesting question about what constitutes cheating. For me anything that that gives an unfair advantage not available to others could be considered cheating, for example injected player markers.

Alternate visibility is coded into the game, and is enabled/disabled as a server side option. If you could enable it when it is disabled server-side that'd be cheating.

I haven't tried Reshade but if it isn't useable in mods off servers then there isn't a problem. In mods-on servers it is ok and as it is available to everyone it cannot be cheating.

3DMigoto is available to everyone mods on or off. I don't really like how it interacts with the alternate visibility though. It just doesn't look "right". On that note, when I lived in Macclesfield we'd come "over the top" from Buxton and from high up we could see airliners landing at Manchester around 12 miles away in a straight line. Even in good conditions it was hard to see them, but a WWII fighter at 1/3 of the length and in camouflage would have been impossible to see. With alternate visibility and 3DMigoto you can see and identify fighters at that distance or more.

More of an advantage in pvp is Track IR over VR, or a bigger/4k monitor than someone else. Even to the point of a funky HOTAS/pedals setup over a limited setup.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

Tom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:34 pm ...
I haven't tried Reshade but if it isn't useable in mods off servers then there isn't a problem. In mods-on servers it is ok and as it is available to everyone it cannot be cheating.
Reshade injects code in your Windows DirectX libraries and the devs can do nothing about it nor can they even know you're using it. 3DMigoto does basically the same thing. It is available to everyone, true but any other piece of software I put online can be available for everybody. Aimbots included. I know of people who use software which gives them a clearly visible indication of whether they're in coordinated flight or not and what rudder correction they need to make. Think of it as a digital turn-and-bank indicator placed nicely always on top of the screen, clearly visible in a dogfight, for example.
Tom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:34 pm ...
More of an advantage in pvp is Track IR over VR, or a bigger/4k monitor than someone else. Even to the point of a funky HOTAS/pedals setup over a limited setup.
We all know this game is pay-to-win :rof_lol :rof_lol :rof_lol

I feel like I am getting in an argument with a lawyer and I don't like that :rof_pilotfly
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

Don't do that, Gosho - he'll charge you by the day!
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

I think we're broadly on the same page with stuff that affects how things look and those nasty little software hacks that make cheaters into killers. I don't lump 3DMigoto in with them but that might be because I only use its zoom function. When VR resolutions approach 4k per eye I may not even need that.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Nick

Post by Nick »

Obviously a more controversial topic that I was expecting it to be and I hadn't thought of it in that way! Turning down the contrast and changing the AA has helped a little bit over the standard config I had before. Will continue to fiddle about with graphics settings in game and see what works the best for me.
TP_Andy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by TP_Andy »

Happy Reshade user here - and a proud one. Sorry chaps.

Visibility is a subject of constant change in simulators with the 'alternate visibility' settings being prime example of it in Il-2. We all experienced patches which change our spotting perceptions significantly in both ways and I don't really see much of a problem in trying to normalize this setting to more or less constant one the Player is used to and comfortable with.

Putting equals between Reshade and cheating is fairly harsh to me since a) it's definitely not a spotting panacea (in certain conditions it can make things even worse), B) it's readily available to every Player and last but not least C) it allows for better graphics than the stock game settings with smaller FPS drop tradeoffs for many players with low or mid-tier rigs.

I can understand this maybe could be an issue in some higher ranks of competititve gaming but I dare to say this is most definitely not what we do.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Andy, BSc. SSc.
- F/Sgt, Blue section's No.3, B flight of No. 601 Squadron
- 1st Ltn, Red Section's No.3, 379th Fighter Squadron
- Obltn, Red Schwarm's No. 3, Staffel 1 of II./JG 26, intelligence officer

- Cast as one handsome devil in BotB, BP RAF1,122W, DW, VL, UT, DGHL, KC, SA, SOTK and LA campaigns
- Also known by the name Horror by (Mission) Design
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

TP_Andy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am Happy Reshade user here - and a proud one. Sorry chaps.

Visibility is a subject of constant change in simulators with the 'alternate visibility' settings being prime example of it in Il-2. We all experienced patches which change our spotting perceptions significantly in both ways and I don't really see much of a problem in trying to normalize this setting to more or less constant one the Player is used to and comfortable with.

Putting equals between Reshade and cheating is fairly harsh to me since a) it's definitely not a spotting panacea (in certain conditions it can make things even worse), B) it's readily available to every Player and last but not least C) it allows for better graphics than the stock game settings with smaller FPS drop tradeoffs for many players with low or mid-tier rigs.

I can understand this maybe could be an issue in some higher ranks of competititve gaming but I dare to say this is most definitely not what we do.
Yep, no point arguing - on that I agree :rof_salute
Fritz
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Fritz »

Tom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:00 pmI don't lump 3DMigoto in with them but that might be because I only use its zoom function. When VR resolutions approach 4k per eye I may not even need that.
That's the only thing I use 3Dmigoto for as well. For me, in the Rift S, the stock VR zoom actually makes things worse. With the newer view distance options, I can now see aircraft way off, but they are just basically plane shapes until I get very close (within a couple miles). The stock VR zoom actually makes it worse in that when I try to zoom in on them at a distance, they lose that "blob" effect and it makes seeing them even more difficult. The 3DMigoto zoom negates that issue, so I can see them more clearly and - with my experience in growing up next to a military base - more realistically.

That said, I also don't necessarily like the fact that I can clearly identify aircraft out to 25+ kilometers with 3DMigoto's zoom function (rather than just see that aircraft are out there), but then there were many pilots - like Yeager - who were able to see German fighters at ranges that approached 50 miles. So... *shrug*

I don't do PvP, so I can't comment on that really, but I would definitely agree that anything that gives one pilot an advantage over another due to injected programming would be unfair.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 pm Obviously a more controversial topic that I was expecting it to be and I hadn't thought of it in that way!
That's ok - next we'll start on how the P51 (British specification and engine with a German designer) won the war.

Any other suggestions anyone, before Sparky starts on his P51 arguments?

Armstrong & Miller Show
Sparky
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Sparky »

Tom wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm ...P51 (British specification...
Britain asked for North American Aviation to make them P-40s. NAA said, "Hold my beer."

Of course Britain built good fighters too, like the Spitfire, beautiful, maneuverable, with a combat range of a chained dog.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."
Fritz
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Fritz »

Tom wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pmThat's ok - next we'll start on how the P51 (British specification and engine with a German designer) won the war.

Any other suggestions anyone, before Sparky starts on his P51 arguments?
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper