The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Eddie »

CPU: same as before, good CPU for multicore performance, slightly lagging behind Intel in gaming, but only small FPS drops
MB: not much to say, it is good
cooler: basically the best low cost option
GPU: enough for small resolution gaming
RAM: enough again, some say that having two RAM sticks is better than having one, so maybe go for 2x 8GB instead of 1x 16GB?
PS: I have the same one, except a semi modular one because of money. I wholeheartedly recommend a fully modular one for space reasons like you have hear, just watch out, they are sometimes hard to distinguish between fully and semi modulars
Case: really pretty, also looks like it has nice internal cable routing. I would recommend buying two more ventilators (bigger than the two already included so you have higher pressure inside the case) for optimal cooling

If you were to find something directly comparable to your 3600, I would look at some benchmarks such as this one https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/a ... ew,11.html and then looking at the price range. Then there are tailor-made benchmarks for specific stuff, like video editing (I found a couple for computational fluid dynamics and went with them for my own use, just look at several and not just one)

3600 at the CPU means only the name, 3200 with RAM is its speed, 3200 is fine, AMD CPUs want higher speeds if they are going to be happy, but anything above 2800 mhz has really small gains, so 3200 is fine.

Editing videos depends mainly on their length and resolution, so maybe you are just using small ones, or your cousins PC might also have been a beast in its day :D

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Nummy »

Thank you very much Eddie.
Closing in on a doable rig I feel.
I'll check the compatibility site.

On videos there's nothing more than four minutes uploaded to YouTube.
These were experimental as I knew nothing when I started, just downloaded VideoPad and started clicking things.
Here is my best one so far I think.

Will be redone eventually with original footage.
(I hope the actresses I lifted off the net don't object . . . they are perfect for the roles.
Or better they do object and their lawyer sends me a "Cease and Desist' order, at which
time I will tell them I have a big role for them . . .ha ha. Delusions of grandeur.)
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Eddie, this seems very good single core performance:

Intel - Core i5-9600K Six-Core 3.7 GHz Socket LGA 1151 Desktop Processor

And price is right.
What think?
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

Nice CPU and overclockable if you feel like experimenting
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Eddie »

I think the 3600 is of better value

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

So both CPUs are a good deal.
Excellent, a place to start firming up the build.
Hoping to start ordering components next week.
Thanks,

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Looks like order a prebuild now, as shipping in the US is chaotic, if non-existent,
and it could be end of summer maybe by time components got here.
Been waiting 3 weeks on a chopsaw . . .
So anyway, anything terrible about this let me know:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop ... lsrc=aw.ds

It seems to have the components I would order separately anyway.
Cheers,

Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Eddie »

A bit slower and smaller RAM than I would like, and no SSD, both of those can be easily upgraded later though.

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Eddie, I can get added:
16 GB Dual DDR4 for 100 USD extra,

or better I think

32 GB 16 GB M,2 PCI for 150 USD.
How does it look with the latter?
I like the idea of 32 GB for video rendering etc.

I want something that if it goes wrong, I have a guarantee, etc,
and it might take forever for individual components to get here.

Thanks,

Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Eddie »

Dont go for the second option. The Intel optane memory stick goes into your SSD slot and is essentially an SSD that you cant control, is slower and has only 16 GB space.
On the other hand the 16GB RAM option is vastly overpriced. You are essentially paying 100 USD more for something that costs only around 50 USD. RAM options are vastly overpriced in general. I would just go for the basic 8GB (if I absolutely had to buy a prebuild PC...) and buy a set of RAMs separately and then sell the 8GB that is already in it. Question is if this voids your warranty...

Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Roger--thanks.