The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Recommended books

S/Ldr. Reggie will be providing us with 'Interviews with the Aces.' We will get the opportunity to 'meet' one ace every week. Please let S/Ldr. Reggie know if you have any suitable material.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Fritz
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Recommended books

Post by Fritz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 pm

I'd definitely have to agree with you there Sparky. My first one was a mess. Second one wasn't much better (that one I didn't finish completely as a result - it sits there in the slush pile, toying with me...). Then I had the unthinkable happen - I wrote nearly 70,000+ words of a historical fiction story set in Vietnam I've been thinking about for years, and after getting it into a state of near completion and the beginnings of heavy revision, I lost it. It somehow got deleted. I have no idea how.

I make multiple backups now - and once a year burn my entire Scrivener folder to CD.

However, as bad as that was, it actually helped the story. It forced me to actually sit down and plan it all out, outline the entire plot, examine and put to text full back histories, plan character interactions, etc. I might have lost the MS, but the story itself is still buried in my cobwebby brain, and with all the pre-planning now it should be a far better story once I finish all the outlining and start writing it again.

And Sparky, man - if you actually had people ask you to send your book, jump on it. I dream of such things...
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:48 pm

I know quite a lot about certain periods of history but my stories flow from other periods. Yes, I know more than the average Joe on the street about those times but far, far less than I know of my periods of study. I wrote half of a novel, Morningstar, but people urged me to instead begin another story I envisioned so I ceased the former and began and finished Sea Horses. I've neither sought nor cared about "the Market" nor sought an agent.

No PM in sight Nummy. Maybe we better begin a writers' thread before the rest of TP tells us, "Get a room!"
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 am

You could call it "The Writers' Block" (careful punctuation there and a pun on block).

Sparky
United States of America
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Sparky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Silk, I avoided a pun by writing "Get a room" rather than writing, "Book a room."

In the TP pun tradition, the latter is desired if not required, I suppose.

BTW, your 'Block" pun was deftly done.
Pilot Officer, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Nummy
Canada
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Nummy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Try:

baronbuff22@gmail.com

No reason for it not to be known by every TP.

Cheers, Nummy
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.

Eddie
Slovakia
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Eddie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Now that we are flying from Khimky,
https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/roc ... etail.html
this book (which i guess Jacko already knows) has an interesting segment on the airfield. Its also a very good memoir of the early space program

Silk
Great Britain
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Silk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Just ordered some more reading for when we get into North West Europe...