The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Welcome Guests.

A place for all Tangmere guests to come along and say hello, have a pint and get to know who we are, and what we are up to.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: Welcome Guests.

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 pm

It depends on cost. If you have an unlimited budget then VR is the way to go. If you are restricted (and remember that it is the cost of the pc hardware as well as the tracking thing) then Track IR will still do a great job.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 pm

TrackIR will also give you full-screen monitor resolution. VR resolution is somewhat lower, but the trade-off comes with the immersion.

Cowboy
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Cowboy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 pm

All good information, I didn't realize VR is an option. At this point since I've got the computer I'll go with the TrackIR. VR is rapidly improving so down the line I'll probably make the switch.

S!

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:35 am

Hi Chako and welcome,

Just to show you all options there is also a little thingy called Aruco paper tracker. Basically it works very similar to the TrackIR but instead of tracking the LEDs/IR LEDs the webcam watches a QR-code-like pattern you print out and attach to your head via a cap. The software being used here is called Opentrack and it is a great opensource utility for IR/LED and also Arduino-driven tracking too.

Naturally, if the budged is not a trouble, go for TrackIR as it is the easiest, most accurate and user friendly way. Just wanted to mention this in case you or anyone else who comes new and is tight on budget so that they know a basic, fairly accurate headtracking device can be working for really few bucks. :-)
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

Spitfires over Kuban 2017 - 2018: Starshina Andy Andreyevich Schupkin
Spasibo Amerika - 2018 - ?
Defend the Goths Head Line 2018: Feldwebel Andy von Schupka (1st class Iron Cross, also shot by Bunny)

Cowboy
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Cowboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Ah, thanks for the tip. I was supposed to receive TrackIR today in fact, however I now see that it's going to be Tues. or Wed. Such is life!

Moggy
Virgin Islands (Brit)
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Moggy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Never regretted buying my track ir, should of bought it sooner!
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron

Merlin
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Merlin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello Chako wot Bunny said but as you are US based check out the Samsung Odyssey VR headset available in the USA (cannot directly get it in Europe), best value/performance VR headset 'currently' in production.
"It's a Squadron scramble sir"-"don't be wet, I'm still rebooting."

Cowboy
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Cowboy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

You know, that's not a bad price. I'll keep it on my wish list!

Cowboy
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Cowboy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Sparky wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 pm
except "Chako" sounds like "Jacko" which is the radiotelephone proword for "disregard the following transmission" :Peace
Yeah, there has been some confusion with the name and since it's not a 1940's RAF nick name I've decided to change it to "Cowboy". Seems there was a U.S. pilot that joined the RAF in the war effort so it seems a good fit.

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:27 pm

There were many US pilots that joined the RAF, some through the RCAF, and at least a dozen fought in the 1940 Battles of Norway, France, and Britain in RAF squadrons. Billy Fiske was the first to die in August 1940 some of them subsequently served in the first RAF Eagle Squadron, flying Hurricane Mk. IIa and later Spitfires IIa and later models. The Eagle Squadrons entered combat after the Battle of Britain had ended.

American Bill Dunn tried to enlist in the RCAF but was turned down and served as a Canadian infantryman in Calais, France (briefly) and then is credited with shooting down two Ju-87s with a pintle-mounted Lewis Gun during an air raid on his base. He'd been stunned by a bomb blast and the Lewis Gun AA crew killed or disabled and he was angry so he ran to the gun and the Stukas tried to light him up, apparently. Dunn said, "Others were shooting at them too" but he was the one credited with both a/c destroyed.

After fighter pilot losses in the Battle of Britain troops with flying experience were allowed to apply and Dunn was accepted, commissioned, and send through a very abbreviated training in Miles Magister and little or no time in Hurricanes before posting to No.71 Squadron, the first Eagle Squadron. He was the first US ace of WWII (beat another pilot by a few minutes) and shot down six German aircraft before being wounded the first time.

He flew fighters again but like most US-born pilots he was subject to pressure to switch to the USAAF when America entered the war. Many RAF pilots didn't care for the idea but there was pressure since the US needed combat-experienced leaders like Don Gentile and Donald Blakeslee who would lead their former Eagle Squadrons in Mustangs deep into a death struggle with the Luftwaffe. Of the one American pilots who flew in Norway (hospitalized during the Battle of Britain) and the eleven who are authorized the Battle of Britain clasp, seven were killed in action in the RAF or the USAAF.

William "Poppy" Dunn's Fighter Pilot is a well-written story of his service in the Canadian infantry, the RAF (Hurricanes and Spits), USAAF (P-39s, Thunderbolts, Mustangs) in WWII, The Chinese Civil War, and the US war in Vietnam.
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Chako wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm
Sparky wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 pm
except "Chako" sounds like "Jacko" which is the radiotelephone proword for "disregard the following transmission" :Peace
Yeah, there has been some confusion with the name and since it's not a 1940's RAF nick name I've decided to change it to "Cowboy". Seems there was a U.S. pilot that joined the RAF in the war effort so it seems a good fit.
Chako, you have 2 options - I can change your forum name for you, or you can re-register. Let me know which you would prefer. If I change it - you will have to log in with Cowboy after I have changed it.
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Cowboy
United States of America
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Cowboy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks Reggie, we got it worked out.