The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

I want to add a box with extra switches/toggles

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

I want to add a box with extra switches/toggles

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 am

I have an extra USB port or two and my TM Warthog HOTAS stick and throttle quadrant are pretty maxed out on switch assignment which leads to odd things assigned to the same multi-directional button. I broke off a 4-way joystick button so I'm down 4 switches.

I see some sited sell airline type banks of switches and toggles. The toggles would be great for opening and closing upper and lower cowl flaps and many switches are hard to find with my VR headset on. With a switchbox, I can count them by feel. Better to have my engine start switch there than amidst other controls. Once in mid-fight I killed my engine by mistake. Hard to maintain energy-

Any recommendations on good switch boxes to order? I may end up ordering a second throttle quadrant because now I use one throttle and one mixture for both engines when I get lost and end up in an A-20 cockpit.

Your suggestions, gentlemen? Ten switches, ten toggles, a couple sliders?

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: I want to add a box with extra switches/toggles

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

I use the Warthog and the only things I have on the keyboard are:

Start engines
Bomb bay doors
Select engine 1 or 2

Everything else is on the HOTAS so I'm wondering if you need another peripheral?

Which 4-way switch did you break, and how?
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Tom,

I had the VR headset on and the joystick slipped off the small table and hit the floor. The 4-way (8-way?) switch below the conical 4-way trim switch broke off. Its shaft snapped. I cannot see a way to repair it. I thought to drill the shaft, insert a tiny steel core- but it seems too small.

I cannot find any way to order replacement joystick handgrip units. You can order a replacement base, but not a handgrip. Virpil makes a handgrip that fits the TM Warthog base but it's out of stock.

To use the keyboard I must lift the VR headset, difficult when wingmen are maneuvering. I'm used to counting switches with my fingertips so I thought to add a box 'o switches.

I should shift start engine to keyboard to join lock tailwheel and change map display.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm

That is unlucky. Have you thought of using a desk mount like the Monstertech or VIRPIL ones?

I wonder if you can drill the shaft, or somehow fix something to it. It doesn't have to be like the switch currently is.

If you do get a switch box I suggest one that has very different buttons so you cannot hit the wrong one by mistake. Maybe one of the DSD ones
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Can the DSD unit rotary knobs or 2-way toggles be set to increase and decrease mixture? I'd sure like to be able to use both throttles for times we all slum about in A-20's and such. I'd like to be able to feather a dead engine before it loses hydraulics as it spins down and the extra buttons would suit the purpose.

I shall investigate the Monstertech mount ASAP. Virpil's are on sale but postage to the colonies are probably dear. There's always a price to 'Going West'.

Note: I ordered Monstertech's short and long table mounts for my stick and throttle. Expensive but now my joystick will be sidestick no longer. It's been like flying an F-16.

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Without seeing the item superglue does wonders. Not so good with plastics. Or 2 part resin.
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Monstertech are expensive but I think they'll last forever.

I don't know much about the switch boxes really though most look to be set up for non-VR use.

Maybe a Saitek throttle quadrant would give you everything you need.

On my throttle I have the top coolie hat for mixture (forward/back) and trim (up/down). The grey lever is adjustable stabiliser trim.

Armstrong & Miller Show

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 pm

My set up is a little different as I have a 'shift' pinky switch on my joystick and also a 'function mode' button that allows me multiple mappings for each button/swtich.

Have you maybe considered something like VoiceAttack, which supposedly maps voice commands to button presses?

This wouldn't be my preferred option for myself as I fear it may get in the way of regular voice comms, but it may work for others.

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 am

Silk, I'd like to learn about the pinky switch as I think my Warthog can do that. I don't know how to get the shift to happen. Do you use the pinky switch like a control button, holding the pinky bitton as you press the other button to get it's second function? Or is it a mode switch, as in 'push once to get everything into mode A' and everything is in mode A until you hit the pinky switch again to put everything into mode B functions?

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Exactly that - it's like having a 'Shift' button available on the joystick. I think that for the Warthog you may be able to assign that function through the control software. I use the VKB Gladiator Pro (v1) that has that hard-coded to that function (unless you change it in the VKB control software).

For instance - my trigger is assigned to Machine guns and my top button to cannon, but with the pinky button pressed that becomes rockets for the trigger and bombs for the top button.

With the addition of the function toggle button as well I can also have my trigger function as Russian-style brakes. This accounts for the occasional gun-less pass in combat and/or brief burst of gunfire when taxiing :Lol

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Thrustmaster MFD is another option
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/mfd-cougar-pack

To be honest you can double up with a lot of the controls as some are set up for specific aircraft and not needed every time you fly. I have all aircraft oil, radiator and cowl flaps mapped to similar inputs to open and close. Works well.
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

Sparky
United States of America
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Tom, I ordered a DSD FLT2 button box. I wonder if the rotary knobs can control mixture for multiple engines and not just light rheostats. I want to be able to individually feather props, etc. for times we all are flying multi-engine. If I'm deemed worthy of joining TP (I think the standard involves showing up for AF3 with bottle of expensive hooch and a jar of chunky peanut butter) I'm going fighters but I want to be able to jump into an A-20 or Me-110 if the scenario puts us all there on a weeknight co-op mission.

http://derekspearedesigns.com/uploads/3 ... 4_orig.jpg