The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Also in need of graphics card advice.

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Dutch
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Also in need of graphics card advice.

Post by Dutch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Gents,

I need some advice/opinions.

I’m exploring how best to upgrade my pc & therefore my gaming experience in the most cost effective way possible.

My current specs are:

i7 920 @ 2.67 ghz cpu
8 gig ram
660 gtx 2gig gpu
460w psu (I think)
23” widescreen monitor @ 1920 x 1080

I run BoS with balanced graphics settings, medium clouds (using a cloud mod), x2 landscape distance.
FPS can go as high as 50 in a clear sky, & down to low/mid 20’s when things are busy/on the deck – average is mid/low 30’s. When there are clouds about the game looks rubbish, when there's lots of flak etc I get micro freezes/stutters.
My FPS were, I guess like everyone else’s, considerably higher before the Bodenplatte update
I haven’t got Track IR at the moment, & have not been inclined to re-buy it, as I got a significant FPS hit while using it.

My current thinking is to upgrade by way of a new gpu.

I’ve looked at prices:
1050Ti 4gig are £150+
1060 3gig are £200+
1060 6gig are £250+

Will any of them give me a significant graphics upgrade, increase in FPS & allow me to use Track IR again - or will the cpu bottleneck things?
Is it worth considering the two cheaper options, or do I need to go for the highest spec to make a difference?

Those who know me are aware that I'm pretty clueless about this sort of stuff.
I wanna go full-horrible. Take me to the nasties.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Re: Also in need of graphics card advice.

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm

If you want a further option I have my old pc gathering dust at the mo.

i7-4770k overclocked
Z87 Sabertooth mobo
16Gb ram
Hunter's 660 graphics card that I'll be sending back to him soon
No sound card
PSU and a few drives etc all in a monster case.

Make a semi-reasonable aka cheeky offer and its all yours, if you want it that is.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Hunter
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 pm

I'll throw the Card in as well.

On second thoughts it won't be powerful enough.

Tom why don't you keep it as a squadron spare, in case anyone else needs to use it as you did, rather than spend on the postage.
Last edited by Hunter on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No points for second best.

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

the 660 card is below the recommended spec for the game.

Depending on how long you are contemplating keeping the card I would go for something like a 970/980/1050TI for now. From what I understand there is not that much of an improvement between those and the 1060 series. I guess that it really depends on whether you are intending on upgrading to a VR headset at any point, as that would change the whole equation. There are also rumours around that the next generation of cards may be due soon. I wouldn't particularly hold my breath waiting for that as those type of rumours are often just wishful thinking, but I thought that I would mention it.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Next Nvidia cards are possibly Q3 (most likely Q4) release this year. But cards that are then second hand will still attract a premium, especially the better ones like the 1080. As always with hardware it is never possible to say the right time to buy.

Edit: Nvidia have a buy a graphics card get a free SSD drive deal at the mo - https://www.nvidia.co.uk/geforce/made-t ... D_CORPWMFG .
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show

Dutch
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Dutch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks Gents, I'll give it all some thought - I can't move on this just yet anyway, holidays, sofas, blah blah to pay for. I'm just getting my head around it all, as I can't really go on playing with my current set up, the graphics are spoiling the immersion to a degree, & the situation is only going to get worse I think when Bodenplatte comes along.

Thanks for the offer Tom, maybe we can have a chat when we next meet up.

Cheers Hunter, but that's the same card as I already have.
Silk wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm
the 660 card is below the recommended spec for the game.
I kinda thought this must now be the case, it was fine when I first bought BoS, but things have changed - out of interest what is the recommended card now? I googled, but all the links I found are to the original specs which quote the 660.
I wanna go full-horrible. Take me to the nasties.

Tom
Wales
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Most of the cards from the 1050 upwards will do at 1920x1080.

The cpu is key though especially with bombers and multiple gunners all using cpu power.

Armstrong & Miller Show

Blackjack
Wales
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Blackjack » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 pm

I found this deal from nvidia Dutch, free ssd with a 10 series purchase.
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/geforce/made-to-game/
"I also like to live dangerously"-Austin Powers,blackjack scene

charlie
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by charlie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I am in a similar situation Dutch, still using a 760 which is ok but the game keeps crashing due to driver issues with this card. So until I upgrade it's just not worth the constant reboots! I feel completely out of the TP loop now as there are chaps flying now that I have never spoken to yet so am missing everyone, including Tom!

I am still looking for a 1050 or 1060 and hope to sort it soon!
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No longer B Flight Leader but still a bloody nice bloke
No1 Sqn

"Success in life consists of going from one mistake to the next without losing your enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
http://www.behance.net/search?search=ch ... user_tags=

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:23 am

Prices should drop Charlie later this month with the release of the new 1180 series cards. The 1050/1060/1070/1080 or their 1100 series equivalent should be more reasonable when the new cards come out.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."