The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

FW-190 A-8

The place for Charlie to put on his favourite dress and show us all his assets!!

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

FW-190 A-8

Post by TP_Andy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 am

Another one gathers the dust (teehee) on my shelf :Dodgy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFZto3xmKLAEPxw46

Focke-Wulf FW-190 A-8, Major Karl Kennel, Schlachtgeschwader 2, Parchim - Germany, April 1945.

Karl Kennel was born on 17 January 1914 at Pirmasens in Pfalz. He eschewed his career as a policeman in Ludwigshaven to join the Luftwaffe on 9 May 1935. He underwent military training at Schleissheim before learning to fly at Weimar and Oldenburgh. At the beginning of World War 2, Unteroffizier Kennel was serving with I./ZG 76 operating twin-engined Bf 110 fighters from Varel. His first victory was gained over a French aircraft over Dunkirk. During the French campaign he flew 48 missions in support of ground forces. He also added two further aerial victories to his tally. Kennel then flew with II./ZG 2 flying about 30 fighter-bomber missions against airfields and naval targets in southern England. In spring 1941 he participated in the invasion of the Balkans. On 1 June, he was promoted Leutnant. During the invasion of Russia, Kennel flew mainly ground-attack missions. During 1942, the unit re-equipped with Me 210 twin-engined fighter bombers. On 16 March 1942, Kennel was awarded the Deutches Kreuz in Gold. In April 1942, Kennel was appointed Staffelkapitan Erg.-Zerstörer-Gruppe based at Deblin-Irena. He led the unit until September. In October 1942, Oberleutnant Kennel was appointed Staffelkapitän of 5./Sch.G 1 operating over the middle and southern areas of the Eastern front. The unit was equipped with the Fw 190 single-engined fighter-bomber. On 19 September 1943, Kennel was awarded the Ritterkreuz for 500 combat missions and 28 victories. In October 1943, Kennel was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of I./SG 152 based at Prossnitz (Prostějov CZ). By July 1944 the unit was based around Vienna. Kennel was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of II./SG 2 on 29 July 1944. During this time the unit provided fighter cover for Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel’s Panzerjagdstaffeln during the retreat across Rumania and Hungary. Hauptmann Kennel was awarded the Eichenlaub (Nr 666) on 25 November for 800 missions. He received promotion to Major on 30 January 1945. He flew his last combat mission of the war on the morning of 8 May.
Karl Kennel flew 957 combat missions and recorded 34 victories. Three of his victories were recorded over the Western front.

Victories : 34
Awards : Knight`s Cross with Oak Leaves
Units : ZG 26, ZG 2, Sch.G 1, SG 152, SG 2

(courtesy http://www.luftwaffe.cz/kennel.html)

As for the kit: it is an ex-form of Dragon packed now by Italeri in 1/48th scale. Fairly nice details, includes basic photo-etched parts, too, lots of camouflage schems to choose from. However, when completing wings and fuselage together, I had really bad time with fitting them so as no gaps were present. Loads and loads of cement, putty and swearing went into that part of building but there is a good chance I missed something when prepairing the parts - my dad builded this one a few years earlier and did not encountered the issues I had. Other than that this shrike was great fun to build, especially with this colorful camo.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: currently operating an E-7 during the Unternehmen Taifun campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: recovering from wounds taken during SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Dutch
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: FW-190 A-8

Post by Dutch » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 am

Effective camo against that concrete!

Nice one Andy.
I wanna go full-horrible. Take me to the nasties.

Reggie
Zimbabwe
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am

Nicely done Andy - that is great camo :Thumbup
Squadron Leader Reggie
Site and Forum Dude.

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Beautiful, Andy - well done!

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Well done. How do you find the time?

The backlit, head-on photo on the wet (appearing) pavement is my favorite photo. Very nice work and nice detailed story.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:26 am

Sparky wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 pm
Well done. How do you find the time?
Very hardly :D since I am working and studying now, I usually finish about one model each year, give or take. However, this one was laying around for about three or Four years around as I kept setting it away due to aforementioned difficultues with building and/or lack of interest and the "right mood." I think at least two other projects were finished before I finally put this one together. But as I said, in the end it was quite fun and I am very happy with the final result. The long delays allowed me to improve in many techniques, especially airbrushing.

Next up: Zlín Z-226 MS in our aeroclub towplane livery and Aero L-29 Delfín.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: currently operating an E-7 during the Unternehmen Taifun campaign

charlie
Great Britain
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by charlie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Nice work Andy, interesting scheme and I love those late war colours. It would be nice to see it photographed on a plain white or black background so the colours and details really stand out!
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No longer B Flight Leader but still a bloody nice bloke
No1 Sqn

"Success in life consists of going from one mistake to the next without losing your enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
http://www.behance.net/search?search=ch ... user_tags=

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 am

charlie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 pm
Nice work Andy, interesting scheme and I love those late war colours. It would be nice to see it photographed on a plain white or black background so the colours and details really stand out!
Thanks Charlie, will try to make some plain shots over the weekend.
Non multi sed multa.

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:12 pm

TP_Andy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 am
charlie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 pm
Thanks Charlie, will try to make some plain shots over the weekend.
Photos on a plain background added to the album. :Not
Non multi sed multa.