The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Flight controls - re convo on WhatsApp

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Flight controls - re convo on WhatsApp

Post by Silk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Andy - regarding the convo on WhatsApp

VKB Gladiator Pro (Original)

TWCS Throttle
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/produ ... s-throttle

TFRP Pedals
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/produ ... der-pedals

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Flight controls - re convo on WhatsApp

Post by Silk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I just realised - the pic of the throttle is only the back side

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:03 am

Nice build, Silk. As I mentioned, I am considering the whole TFRP kit to buy when my trustworthy Hotas X says goodbye. But damn, the Gladiator looks fancy!

I read few reviews where people were a bit skeptical regarding the ruggedness and toughness of the Thrustmaster pedals. What is your experience?
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: Veteran of the UT campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: Defending mother Moscow in his MiG-3 during the Zaschita Moskvy campaign, veteran of the SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 am

Silk, what are you getting to replace those?

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 am

Not replacing them at all, Gosho. At least not yet. they all work pretty well.

My only issue at the moment is that the Oculus Voice thing keeps trying to kick in when I'm playing the game at the moment and I need to get it permanently turned off. Only started on Tuesday, so not affected Ops yet thank goodness.

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:58 am

This is for the ordinary Gladiator. The only real difference is that the Pro doesn't have the twist grip. It's amazing how many button combinations you can get on one stick.

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

TP_Andy wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:03 am
I read few reviews where people were a bit skeptical regarding the ruggedness and toughness of the Thrustmaster pedals. What is your experience?
I found my TM pedals slid around on the smooth floor so I put a bit of glue under each little rubber pad. I thought the plastic might not last but they look and work like new. The glue I applied eventually dried and the pedals came loose so I started using my MFG Crosswinds but the Thrustmaster pedals seem to show no wear. So all my worries about plastic pedals were unfounded. The TM pedals proved very durable and never had a problem.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

"The mission...is...to fly and to fight, and don't you forget it."

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Sorry, I missed the question. Yes, I have almost no issues with the pedals and absolutely none about ruggedness or operation. As Sparky says, they can 'migrate' a little even on carpet. I suspect that if one were to make a kind of frame for holding them and put something like velcro or rubber on the bottom of it then that could be sorted. Either way it is not a massive problem.

Gosho
Bulgaria
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gosho » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm

I use this

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tex ... -80227877/

Works like a charm on my wooden floor, no adhesives required.

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Gosho wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm
I use this

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tex ... -80227877/

Works like a charm on my wooden floor, no adhesives required.
Looks like Gosho's idea will work well. My problem was that I had the pedals way out forward as in a real fighter so when I used full rudder deflection and brake (as in Russian fighters) on the slick floor the pedals slid. Had I just slid them close to me I probably would have ended 95% of my problem.
F/Sgt, Press Officer

"No smoking within twelve hours of mission brief. No drinking within fifty feet of the aircraft."

Hatter
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Hatter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:00 am

After 20 years of my trusty Microsoft Sidewinder 2, I bought a Thrustmaster setup. Getting used to rudder peddles over a twist-stick will no doubt result in much hilarity. Particularly taxing the E7...
"Oh God!"

Formerly
F/Lt., Green Leader, No.145 (Fighter) Squadron

Sparky
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sparky » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Hatter wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:00 am
Particularly taxing the E7...
Don't tax the E7, don't piss it off. Taxi it. Gently. Make it your friend. :Devil
F/Sgt, Press Officer

Hatter
United States of America
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Hatter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Germans like the rough stuff!
"Oh God!"

Formerly
F/Lt., Green Leader, No.145 (Fighter) Squadron

TP_Andy
Czech Republic
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by TP_Andy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am

I would not expect myself to write a purchase update so early, but on Tuesday I got extremely lucky.

There was a guy on a DCS facebook group who was advertising an used TrackIR with Track Clip Pro for about one quarter of the original price when these were sold by retails back in early 2010's (about 6000 CZK = about 200 Pounds, his price was 1600 CZK = about 50 Pounds) so I got into contact with him and we chatted for a while. He revealed to me that due to lack of free time, he would sell his Saitek reudder pedals if I were interested too. He set the price for about half of the MSRP (which is here about 4000 CZK = about 135 Pounds, so the price was 2000 CZK = about 70 Pounds).

The offer was too good to pass. The PC hardware update can wait for a bit more and i have now my virtual cockpit complete. I collected the goods yesterday evening, set them up (I did not even need to download any drivers apart from TrackIR interface) and gave it a quick spin. Everything worked as intended. After a few circuits and ground attacks with an E-7, these were my insights:

- While I deemed Opentrack/Aruco QR code method sufficient to be able to look around in a cockpit, the TrackIR is completely different story. very smooth, very responsible, no accidental seizures when the webcam would lose acquisition of the paper marker. I noticed immediate improvement in my navigating and aiming abilities. Also, the clip does not look as weird as a baseball cap with a QR code sticked to its back so Ms Andy will not laugh at me anymore.
- Using rudder pedals in a virtual sim where there is no real forces feedback is INSANE. Even though I should be accustomed to using pedals from real-life soaring, I actually got so used to the rocker on my HOTAS X throttle I was not able to get the feet work done properly. Taxiing, take-off and landing suddenly became one hell of a challenge but I guess it's just a matter of time and I will get used to it. The good thing is that using rudder trim (if available) is now practically obsolete.

However, the slip-stop mat Gosho metioned above will be required as there are parquetes under my PC table and the pedals tend to slip on them a bit.
Non multi sed multa.
- Not many (men), but very much (dedication). 312th Czechoslovak Squadron's motto.

German Andy #2: Veteran of the UT campaign
German Andy #1: 1st class Iron Cross, vacationing after DGHL campaign
Soviet Andy: Defending mother Moscow in his MiG-3 during the Zaschita Moskvy campaign, veteran of the SOTK and SA campaigns
British Andy: at the recruitment office
US Andy: still farming somewhere in Arkansas

Silk
Great Britain
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

Seems that I spoke a little too soon about my controls - one of the wires on my TFRP rudder pedals has come loose meaning that I now have no left toe-brake. I'm going to need to get that sorted but am dreading taking them apart to do it.